Banner adverts

dbroada

David, I'm guessing there's not a lot you can do but I'll ask anyway...

Do you have any control over the banner adverts? For about a month I have had a 3D swim suit model advert and now I have a Ukrainian chat line. Neither are particulary offensive (and are easilly ignored) but they are both the sort of thing that could get CADTutor on my company's net nanny banned list.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotGuy

• dbroada

• Dana W

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just put a piece of black tape over that portion of your screen. LoL

I used duct (duck) tape. It's a pretty silver color and covers a wide enough area. 8)

I tried that but soon ran out of room to work. My second monitor is completly covered! Maybe I shouldn't have had that chat....

Do you have any control over the banner adverts? For about a month I have had a 3D swim suit model advert and now I have a Ukrainian chat line. Neither are particulary offensive (and are easilly ignored) but they are both the sort of thing that could get CADTutor on my company's net nanny banned list.

Until you mentioned it I never had noticed, but at home I have the banner adverts, but here in the office there none. Don't ask why or how cos I dunno! But no doubt David will tell you where to go :rofl:

I'm glad you posted something. I've been thinking the same thing. It's nothing offensive and it's a 3D animated model but when my vice president walks by my desk 12 times a day to go get his Diet Coke, it doesn't look good, lol.

My boss doesn't mind that I'm on one of my several forums at all, he understands it's a benefit. But that particular add has made me uneasy. 8)

I think that the banner adverts are somehow connected with your web browsing and cookies.

I regularly clear out cookies and browsing history, so the adverts that I see seem that I am interested in CAD only.

I think that the banner adverts are somehow connected with your web browsing and cookies.

I regularly clear out cookies and browsing history, so the adverts that I see seem that I am interested in CAD only.

I find that idea difficult to reconcile with my web browsing history. I have never requested 3D animated models nor Ukrainian chat lines. I have looked at having a holiday in the Ukraine though so maybe that is the connection.

and it would appear that Tanner and I browse the same sites....

The banners I see are definatly connected to my browsing history - I would think an Ad-block addon would help?

I haven't seen the 3D-swim model, what have you guys been browsing? :roll:

The other problem I have is that our machines are scanned regularly and we are reported for adding any add-ons. Obviously trying to keep the image cleen is justified but it still takes time. I HAVE to use IE8 so I will see what I can find.

So easy to fix Dave. Buy a good name brand flash drive. Install Portable Apps "OS" on the flash drive. Then you can select other apps such as browsers from FireFox and Chrome to use from the flash drive. Then you can use any add-on with the portable browser that you like. I have been using portable FireFox for years.

When you insert the flash drive, you browse to the Portable Apps start exe and then it runs in your taskbar in the right-hand side. It adds a small icon that acts like a start menu.

port.jpg

And of course all free ;)

Good advice from f700es - portable apps are excellent and I use them all the time in environments where I'm not allowed to install software.

Eldon is correct - the ads you see are related to your browsing history, so clearing cookies will change what you see.

In general, the ads on this site are contextual (they match the content of the page) and geographically specific, so no one will see exactly the same ads all the time.

If you see an ad you don't like, send me a screen grab and I can block it from being shown on this site. As you know, the ads are what keeps this site going but I am as selective as I can be about what appears - I have blocked gambling ads for example.

If you're on Chrome, you can go here to customize ad display settings for yourself.

Also, if you can provide the link url of the ad along with the screen capture, it helps make it easier to block.

Also, if you can provide the link url of the ad along with the screen capture, it helps make it easier to block.

Thanks Lee Roy, quite right.

So, do any of you know where I can get a 3D printer capable of rendering that swimsuit model?:rofl: That's the first add I've seen that didn't offend me in some way all year.

There's one website in the Ukraine willing to ship me one, but i don't trust it.:lol:

So, do any of you know where I can get a 3D printer capable of rendering that swimsuit model?

So you look like a swimsuit model? ;)

I'm glad you posted something. I've been thinking the same thing....

Ditto here. I work in a school and like to present some of these problems to my students, but if my boss should walk by why I have that up on the big screen....

and speaking of bosses, I often work at home on my laptop, if my wife should catch a glance of that .... I have a some explaining to do in both cases.

Eldon is correct - the ads you see are related to your browsing history...

and that skimpy bit of info won't be part of my explaination to either boss.