PDA

View Full Version : 11x17 printer recommendations

randomBullets
8th Apr 2013, 05:24 pm
Looking to upgrade office printer. We need malfunctions that print 11x17 or tabloid or whatever they call that size. Color prints, autodoc feeder/scanning. What do you guys use? What to stay away from? Thanks.

ReMark
8th Apr 2013, 05:32 pm
Laser or inkjet?

What is your budget?

randomBullets
8th Apr 2013, 06:01 pm
well, I personally want laser. But that ain't gonna happen way too pricey.

This is basically the top of the list. http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ6910dw/Overview#.UWL0hrce2SE

Laser or inkjet?

What is your budget?

SLW210
8th Apr 2013, 06:25 pm
Brother is Good. My wife has had 0 problems with the one she ordered for her work, though she mostly uses it for copying and scanning.

Stay away from Sharp, that's what we have where I work and they stay broke down, we have a service request on ours now.

ReMark
8th Apr 2013, 06:56 pm
Have you checked out the Canon line of color inkjet printers?

randomBullets
8th Apr 2013, 09:57 pm
Have you checked out the Canon line of color inkjet printers?

Do you have one in mind?

irneb
9th Apr 2013, 02:51 pm
You're looking for multi-function? I know that Brother is quite goot in that line. But if you could possibly afford it, go with a good Photostat (i.e. Laser) machine - something like one of the Richo derivatives (like Nasua / Minolta). You can sometimes get them on lease - which does bring the initial investment way down with good on-call included service. In the long term a Laser works out cheaper, but your initial investment is much greater.

Other than that, I've tended to steer clear of multi function injets. Perhaps these days they're a bit better. I tended to go with either Epson / Canon for "small scale printers" - i.e. A3 (~11x17) and smaller. Have never got any issues - unlike the HP's / Lexmarks / etc. I've had / my company has had as well (from poor quality to constant breakages or all sorts of combinations of problems). Though that's my experience, some have found HP to actually be reliable - contrary to any of my own 10's of experiences from 1998 onwards.

Also of the scanner's I've found Epson / Canon to be superior to most others. So I guess their multi-functions shouldn't be too bad - seeing as a MF is but a scanner affixed atop a printer. Some do come with auto-doc feeders, but these tend to be minor versions of what you get when you go with a "photostat" machine.

Some advise I can give though: Whatever brand you choose, stay awa from the bottom-of-the-line model. Those tend to be extremely slow, with poor quality printing/scanning, and have a tendency to break whenever you do any sort of urgent print. Look for something which has a recommended workload (i.e. copies/prints per month) which is well above your imagined use (preferably at least double). If it doesn't list a workload, it's a toy printer - forget about it.