Zones and AHU questions...

Roe

OK question concerning my learning process for HVAC in Revit.

1) When I am selecting spaces to be in a zone, how do i know how many spaces to add to that zone? (For example) What tells me that 4 spaces should be in this zone instead of 5?

2) Once that is done, how do i know what AHU unit to use for that zone? Is this information the ME would provide?

3) Say for instance, if im hired to do the entire layout and IM expected to know this, where do I get this information from? I know that the Zone has a list of calculated air and actual air supply in the space, so is this what i use to determine the unit to use, dependent on how much calculated air the space needs vs the amount the unit pushes?

PLEASE be as elementary as you wish, it WONT offend and DONT assume that i know what ever small steps you would think is too insignificant to describe!! LOL I am moving through my training books and using videos, just need to get a "PROCESS" down that i can kind of stick to when starting projects. I learn and retain things so much better when i know WHY something is the way it is

PLEASE be as elementary as you wish, it WONT offend and DONT assume that i know what ever small steps you would think is too insignificant to describe!! LOL I am moving through my training books and using videos, just need to get a "PROCESS" down that i can kind of stick to when starting projects. I learn and retain things so much better when i know WHY something is the way it is.

1) Determined by what the spaces are used for and what zone isolation is required, if any. This would normally come from the ME.

2) This is usually selected by the ME or someone appointed by the ME that knows the equipment.

3) There's a LOT to consider when picking an AHU; min/max outside air requirements, heating/cooling loads, number of zones, available electrical, available structural placement, are you doing a VAV system with re-heat, are you doing individual AHU's for each zone, etc. etc.

Ok Lee sooooo, best practice is to just know HOW to lay things out and where they are located so that when it comes time for actual practical application i will know , and have the procedure for doing so. 10-4

Are you trying to design HVAC systems for a building from scratch, or are you trying to better understand what an engineer has designed so you can lay out your shop drawings better?

Styk, yes, i am tring to design the system form scratch BUT i am also trying to better understand what an engineer is designing for layouts and such. It seems employers are looking for an engineer or designer who can layout the entire system from start to finnish because they dont have the capasity to do so AND OR dont want to train someone to do it. It seems there is no way to learn unless you find someone who already knows how. Im just a nerdy CAD guy who has accepted the fact that as several on this board have stated, AutoCAD is going away and Revit will be the industry standard and i want to learn. THere are only a few places that I can go to learn and even then, they teach you Revit, not HOW to design the system. Though it is important to learn Revit, the knowint how and why certain things are placed in a system be it HVAC or a piping system is what i am aspireing to be taught and learn. I am workin my way through the CAD Learning videos and ll the youtube and autodesk free ones as well. I will only use the cad learning ones for another 30 days and that will be it, but as far as LEARNING SYSTEMS, im going to have to continue to pick you guys brains and look at some HVAC and Piping system books to figure out the WHY. Any advice on the subject is always appretiated.