AutoCAD LT Users using Diesel macros...

Matsui21

Do you utilize Diesel Macros in AutoCAD LT?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you utilize Diesel Macros in AutoCAD LT?

• Yes
    • No

I saw a poll about starting a forum for AutoCAD LT users, but I am curious about how many of those LT users utilize diesel macros in AutoCAD LT?

If you do vote yes; if not then vote no.

Thank you!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matsui21

• Tuns

• ReMark

• Tyke

Top Posters In This Topic

I use full version autocad, but I have had architects ask me about writing macros for LT, and everyone that i talk to in my circle don't know what that is...so, i was just curious to see how many people actually do use them.

Not many even know what a diesel function is, and of the ones that do probably don't know they can be used to customize AutoCAD. Hence why I wanted to start an AutoCAD LT customization forum.

yeah, i completely agree with starting that forum as well; because there are a lot of things that you can do with diesel macros. the link that is on my signature is to my blog and there are some diesel macros on there where i wrote out how to create the macros and all that.

so, i do piping design...and when we are labeling pipelines you can have the same pipeline callouts just with incremented numbers (for example...2"-cw-st1-001, 2"-cw-st1-002...etc). I wrote a diesel macro that would insert that line text, and also increment that number with each placement of text.

I voted no since I'm not a power use by any stretch. I'm a part time user, not all day every day. Had never even heard of them until mentioned in the other thread.

Frankly, I have a hard enough time remembering the basics.

I read and refer to the beginner and basic forums often, as well as the tutorials.

I hope the LT forum gets the OK; I voted yes in that thread. I'd be a daily reader.

We use full AutoCAD and the Civil 3D vertical and have used DIESEL in the command strings when implementing our palettes. I feel that DIESEL is little known and very much underused. It would benefit not only LT users but also full AutoCAD users to acquaint themselves more with the language.

I completely agree Tyke! It would be beneficial for both Full and LT users to know the language.

Why bother with that when you can go running to Lee Mac or Black Box every time you need something? Sarcasm intended.

Hey Mike_Taylor,

have you messed with writing Diesel macros for automating text insertions and the such?

I haven't, but I did take a look at your macro you wrote for the task. Very slick. It gave some ideas for inserting our note tags into our drawings with the increment numbers.

It gave some ideas for inserting our note tags into our drawings with the increment numbers.

thank you for the compliment on the macro. The macro below is what i use to call out our pipeline numbers. 'Users1' is what i use for the text variable; if you are an LT user then replace the 'users1' with 'strprefix'

*^c^c_text;J;MC;\;\$m=$(getvar,users1)$M=$(+,$(getvar,USERR1),$(getvar,USERR2));setvar;USERR1;$M=$(+,$(getvar,USERR1),$(getvar,USERR2));

Why bother with that when you can go running to Lee Mac or Black Box every time you need something? Sarcasm intended.

Neither Lee Mac or BlackBox can help you in LT and I say that even though I hold the pair of them in high esteem (:notworthy:).

Neither Lee Mac or BlackBox can help you in LT and I say that even though I hold the pair of them in high esteem (:notworthy:).

I know. They're both great but I was referencing people with the full version anyways. Most don't even want to bother with a macro when they can use a lisp that does exactly the same thing... I don't even know why.

I dable. I have quite a few macros set up that use diesel, it's not the most straight forward of programming languages, but I enjoy the challenge.

Macros operate in a more brute force manner where as lisp routines are more much subtle (i.e. - cleaner).

BTW...I came across a program called CADSTA Tools that is an add-on for AutoCAD LT. While it is purported to be a productivity enhancement for LT its claim to fame is stated as being...

"The crown jewel of CADSTA Tools is its ability to allow LISP applications to interoperate with AutoCAD LT. It also supports VL and VLAX applications in AutoCAD LT."

Has anyone who uses LT heard of CADSTA Tools? Have any of you tried it? Does it live up to its own hype?

As I recall there were one or two other LT add-ons in the past but apparently AutoDesk managed to drive them out of business. I can't recall exactly what happened though. Anybody recall?

Here is a link to the CADSTA website. http://www.cadsta.com/cadstatools.html