Autocad upgrade

olecarman

OK: With Windows XP fixing to go away in a few months, I guess its time to upgrade from my Autocad 2006.. I am going to get Windows 7 installed soon. With that said, I can get a new "full" version of 2010 Autocad on Ebay with all of the serial numbers and so forth for around $900.00 which I can afford. Is there any issues I should be aware of with buying a 2010 version??

Thanks,

olecarman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• f700es

• olecarman

• JD Mather

Unfortunately the engineering software that I use requires AUTOCAD and no other clones..

Then your only option is by purchase a legitimate commercial version of the software. Don't waste your money on sketchy ebay deals.

Unfortunately the engineering software that I use requires AUTOCAD and no other clones..

I might recommend that you purchase a couple of old back-up PCs with XP, but I'm not sure you would be able to Activate/Transfer the 2006 license.

Nope, drop XP. Once support is gone you are gambling on driver upgrades as well as security patches. XP had a good run but 7 is a great OS. I would not just upgrade to 7 I would upgrade to new hardware as well. Get hardware worth running 7 on ;) Will your other engineering software run on Win7?

Yeah, my engineering software will run on Windows 7 fine. I have to buy a $99.00 upgrade disc, but that is no big deal. I guess my question dealt with what version Autocad to buy? I was thinking about 2010 Autocad but are there any glitches with that version or is another version "better" over another version as far as features and so forth. Of course I would love to have the latest greatest, but the cost becomes a little of a factor at some point.. I felt I could get a 2010 version at a reasonable price ($1,000 - $1500)... But I didn't see anyone comment on versions yet.. I do want to upgrade to Windows 7 plus be able to add some RAM as well, as XP is limited to 4GB, and with a newer version of Autocad I should see some difference in processing speeds.

"Glitches" are addressed via service packs. Every version of AutoCAD will have bugs when first released. Usually most of them are addressed in the first service pack but on rare occasions a second service pack is required.

The bottom line when it comes to buying previous versions of AutoCAD is that you are taking a really big chance on two fronts. First - the software may not be legit. You'll be out your money and have nothing to show for it. Second - even if it is a legit copy AutoDesk is under no obligation to provide you with an activation number meaning that after your initial 30 days trial is up you won't be able to run it. Once again you are out your money and have a worthless disk. Are you willing to take this chance?

Now you know why we recommended AutoCAD clones to those with a meager budget. And until you test your other engineering software how do you know, for a fact, that it will not work with a clone? What special insight or knowledge do you have to back up your statement?

If it has to be "real" AutoCAD you may have to look at buying AutoCAD LT given your budget.

For more information re: low cost CAD programs check out this thread...

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?77642-Low-cost-CAD-programs.

So if I find a "NEVER USED" sealed in the box version of say Autocad 2010 or 2011 and its NEVER been registerd or activated, then AutoDesk will not give you an activation number ???

Good luck finding one although I hear they are readily available in both Russia and China for some reason. Let us know what happens as we'd be very interested to know. Have fun.

I did read this on my engineering softwares website about using Autocad LT... It says: You're in LUCK!! SAVE a TON by using AutoCAD LT with a 3rd party LISP enabler. With a combined cost (LT $900 + Cadsta $350) that's much less than roughly $4200 for full AutoCAD.

So I would have to buy a LISP enabler if I go with Autocad LT which I guess is still much cheaper...

I did read this on my engineering softwares website about using Autocad LT... It says: You're in LUCK!! SAVE a TON by using AutoCAD LT with a 3rd party LISP enabler. With a combined cost (LT $900 + Cadsta $350) that's much less than roughly $4200 for full AutoCAD.

So I would have to buy a LISP enabler if I go with Autocad LT which I guess is still much cheaper...

no thats probably $1250 you are throwing away so don't bother. If you need full Autocad then get full Autocad and you can only legally get the newest version, anything else and it's your money thats at risk, if you can't afford the full version and LT isn't sufficient then stick to 2006 untill you can afford it. You can ask as many ways around the problem as you want, the answer will always be the same.

Maybe all olecarman needs is the lisp capability in which case adding CADSTA to LT would work.

olecarman: Do you need any other features found only in full AutoCAD?

So if I find a "NEVER USED" sealed in the box version of say Autocad 2010 or 2011 and its NEVER been registerd or activated, then AutoDesk will not give you an activation number ???
You receive an activation upon purchase of the software. Remember, if you read the EULA nobody "owns" their copy of AutoCAD, it's technically a "lease".

This is an option, however this violates the EULA which puts this option in the illegal category. You may or may not ever deal with Autodesk regarding this, however Autodesk has won past litigation against 3rd party LT LISP enablers and they received each purchaser's information. Just FYI is all.

3rd Part installer for AutoCAD means you must use the full version. Any LISP routine functionality means you must use the full version. The cost you fronted for AutoCAD 2006 has been a means and method for you and/or your company to turn a nice profit if you've been using this for the past seven years now. I'd say you got your money's worth and you will continue to get your money's worth. Upgrades for software and hardware are necessary, and although there are low-cost alternatives, since you've chosen to use 3rd party software that requires a full license of AutoCAD then that's the choice you have made. Nothing wrong with that choice, but it seems you may be locked in if you want/need to upgrade your hardware and software.

I would suggest a serious consideration of an alternative piece of software(s), or from now on include these expenses in your company-wide budget forecast so you can plan better. This way "sticker shock" doesn't hit you every 3/4 of a decade.

;)

I think it is only fair for the OP to know that there have been numerous discussions on this and other forums, relating stories of LT add-ons that have been closed down by Autodesk, so it remains a risk, and if all the OP is left with is a fully working version of LT but he needs lisp then even the legal copy of LT would be worthless to him.

You might also check into Autodesk rental programs that they are now rolling out for some products, especially if you are only an occasional user.

For example, Fusion 360 can be rented for only $25/month. I think I have seen similar offers on some version of AutoCAD.

Bottom line - I would only deal with Autodesk or an Autodesk Value Added Reseller. (or look at software from some other company)

Ahem, my dear Mr. Frampton:

You're saying that when AutoDesk shut down the maker of LT Toolbox they got as part of the "settlement" access to the names, addresses and telephone numbers of everyone who bought the add-on and they, in turn, were basically told to "cease and desist" from ever using the software again under penalty of a lawsuit?