Revit MEP Switchboard modelling

Mike_Taylor

So we have finally purchased Revit!

AS an introductory project to get used to the UI and general workflow I am working on an electrical room layout to show the client, just so you are aware I have no training as of yet in Revit so please bear with me.

We have a 4000A, 480V (yes we are using standard American voltages in Canada for this project) switchboard. The switches are placed over multiple cells on the switch board. WHen placing the cells in, is it typically modeled as one switchboard with the width adjusted to accommodate the additional width of the cells.

From a technical stand point it makes more sense to have one switchboard.

Attached is a screenshot of our generic Switchboard or Distribution Panel. Basically, don't model every component. I mean... if you wanted to I guess go right ahead but there's no need. The enclosure is what counts, and is all that's needed. In the screenshot you'll notice that we have all the circuiting information added for loads, which is the real benefit of Revit MEP. Hope this helps. Oh and glad your company is going forward with Revit!! Exciting times.

:)

switchboard.jpg

Ok, perfect. I figured as much. It is very exceiting. The possibilities seem endless when compared to AutoCAD.

Sorry one other small question. We are using this as a visual representation more so than from a design perspective. They have essentially asked us to create am electrical room they can get featured in a magazine. We want to visually show the communication backboard, is there a family I can insert for this, or would my best be be to create a wall instead?

If you are using this strictly for "eye appeal" then just model to your hearts desire and forget the parameters. Don't focus so much on "is there a Family" when you're just doing visuals... just use Generic Families. Granted, this advice is only to get you up and running for now.

Perfect, thank you very much. As I had mentioned we are primarily using this project for a visual representation to the client and for me to get comfortable with workflow, the interface and to play with some of the tools prior to formal training. Thanks for the input!

Welcome aboard the Revit boat, Mike. It's way cool that your first dabblings may wind up in a magazine. I'd love to see what you come up with and maybe some interim shots.