Questions for AutoCAD Electrical 2014

bgietzen

Our company is looking at getting software for Wiring Harness drawings. after downloading the trial version I dont really see where it applys to such application.

We mainly use Deutsch Connectors and again I cant seem to find those type of connectors.

Is this program based more for the AC side of electrical. Or can it be used DC as well?

• 5 weeks later...

I would just use plain old autocad. The Electrical and MEP versions are more geared toward electrical contractors and electrical engineers. The low voltage or DC contractors (not sure what you do) really doesn't have a discipline in autocad. I do fire alarm and found it easier to create all my own content and develop my style of drawing rather than depend on somebody else's idea of what your style should be. You know better what your drawings should be like than somebody who doesn't have a clue as to what you do. I checked the manufacture's website but there doesn't seem to be any drawings there that are available. Doesn't mean that you couldn't call and ask for them. I'm always on the phone asking for drawings. Look up what other people have done and go from there is the best advice I could give you. If your looking for something that is more automated then maybe you should talk to someone who writes LISP routines to help you.

Our company is looking at getting software for Wiring Harness drawings. after downloading the trial version I dont really see where it applys to such application.

We mainly use Deutsch Connectors and again I cant seem to find those type of connectors.

Is this program based more for the AC side of electrical. Or can it be used DC as well?

AutoCAD Electrical cannot stock every single connector in known existence, so usually the "out of the box" content is a general set of content.

Can you not create your own library of Deutsch Connectors? Wiring Harnesses is exactly what AutoCAD Electrical is meant for, although I have never personally used the application. The motivation of my response is from general experience with years of Autodesk Software that is AutoCAD-based with "extended" product enhancement add-on packages, such as AutoCAD Architecture and AutoCAD MEP. I feel they are probably the same in principle with AutoCAD Electrical.

HTH -Tannar

Deutsch does offer CVM or CAD models of some of their connectors. Unfortunately you have to search their website using a part number which will open a Part Detail Page. CAD models will be found under the Documentation & Additional Information section of the page. I think if the OP were using Deutsch connectors exclusively then it would be well worth the effort to contact the company directly and ask if they offer DWG files that could be used in conjunction with AutoCAD Electrical.

z-dok connector.jpg

I found another way to search by browsing a catalog. A couple of clicks later and here is a reference to CAD files. It would be nice if they had a way to download an entire library.

pencil.png

• 2 weeks later...

I generally take the 2D files supplied by the manufacturer, and clean them up, then use the "Symbol Builder" tool to build the part into a useable block (all pins, connection points etc defined). It's a fair bit of work, but if you'll be using the same connector over and over again, it's worth setting it up right the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46060[/ATTACH]

I found another way to search by browsing a catalog. A couple of clicks later and here is a reference to CAD files. It would be nice if they had a way to download an entire library.

I have six years experience in drawings of electrical harnesses.

The easiest way is to get views from 2D files. IGS.

The Deutsch Connectors, provides 3D models for use, but a large bureaucracy is needed. You have to inform the company where he works, who the client, what the project, annual demand and so on.

Thank God, Tyco Electronics bought Deutsch Conectors and can download the. IGS very easy, as demonstrated ReMark.

I Use Autocad without adds, but with some routines and also use SolidWorks Routing eventually.

r0qx68.png