.dwg to .bim programs available

DannyH

I'm getting requests to provide a .bim drawing along with my regular .dwg drawing from some of my clients. In talking to others, I want a program that can take my two dimensional drawing from CAD LT and be able to make the changes in another program and then save it as a .bim . Anyone have a line on a inexpensive program. I'm just starting my research so I'm not savvy on any new 3D lingo yet.

Thanks

Dan

I'm looking for a program that can take my 2D and convert it into a 3D. I've heard of one that you can take a line and change it into a 3D object.

Even full AutoCAD can do that but the result would be a surface. Do BIM programs accept surfaces or must the 3D model be a solid? I would guess a solid would be required but I'm not sure.

BIM is not only about the structure, or what goes into creating a building, but also about the life cycle of a building. There is a lot of data that should be included along with the model. How would you propose to add it? So you find a way to turn 2D into 3D but how do you create the database for all the information that defines the building (ex. - manufacturer's information about the roof shingles that will be used)?