Importing DWG or DXF from Adobe Illustrator

Quik&Easy

I've inquired about a similar problem in the past

I have a couple of new projects created in AI that the clients have exported as DWG and DXF. My AC LT 2011 reads all the contours as splines. Even a simple rectangle with a .25 fillet on the corners; all entities are splines. We've tried exporting them as far back a R14 and 2000 file format. Still interpreted as splines. I'll try attaching the simple file. It seems to be black on black so it may be hard to see. I'm not sure on how to change it; I tried changing the layer color but it did nothing I could see. I attempted to explode it and got the note that you can't explode a spline.

I can re-draw one clients work without too much difficulty from a dimensioned drawing but the other one no way. Its an intricate abstract shape to be cut from plate. I managed the artistic one by saving her AI file as a TIFF and doing a raster to vector conversion. Simply plugging her DWG or her DXF with all spline contours into the controller posting software gives me 9x more vertice's (sp) than is actually there, some as small as .006; all little straight lines. Not desirable in my machine setup.

Does anyone else here work with importing data from AI and is there some step I'm missing there or when opening those files in the AC?

Being able to easily import these 2 clients files for future projects would be VERY helpful.

wylan23.31x59.1 [Converted] [Converted].dwg

We've tried exporting them as far back a R14 and 2000 file format.

Try going back to R12 DXF. No splines in those days!

The simple rectangle does have an awful lot of vertices

Another approach that can produce four lines only, is to flatten the spline. Then using Pedit, decurve. Then explode - result four lines

(With LT you might not be able to Flatten)

SplineAsPolyline.jpg

I've inquired about a similar problem in the past

I have a couple of new projects created in AI that the clients have exported as DWG and DXF. My AC LT 2011 reads all the contours as splines. Even a simple rectangle with a .25 fillet on the corners; all entities are splines. We've tried exporting them as far back a R14 and 2000 file format. Still interpreted as splines. I'll try attaching the simple file. It seems to be black on black so it may be hard to see. I'm not sure on how to change it; I tried changing the layer color but it did nothing I could see. I attempted to explode it and got the note that you can't explode a spline.

I can re-draw one clients work without too much difficulty from a dimensioned drawing but the other one no way. Its an intricate abstract shape to be cut from plate. I managed the artistic one by saving her AI file as a TIFF and doing a raster to vector conversion. Simply plugging her DWG or her DXF with all spline contours into the controller posting software gives me 9x more vertice's (sp) than is actually there, some as small as .006; all little straight lines. Not desirable in my machine setup.

Does anyone else here work with importing data from AI and is there some step I'm missing there or when opening those files in the AC?

Being able to easily import these 2 clients files for future projects would be VERY helpful.

Unlock layer then explode then pick round corners and show fit points then set linewidth by layer (default) by layer.

Then join all lines

as per attached drawing

HTH

r

The layer color, white, is being overridden by the object property which is set to almost pure black. Change the object property to "By Layer".

I have just started using a import form AI and found a few quirks it draws a series of straight lines as wobbly straight lines I think this is because of the scale of the pdf I am converting were AI uses pixel snapping so for a small pdf with a huge amount of vector detail it gets the wobbles. The larger the sheet size probably the better the answer.

I have just started using a import form AI and found a few quirks it draws a series of straight lines as wobbly straight lines I think this is because of the scale of the pdf I am converting were AI uses pixel snapping so for a small pdf with a huge amount of vector detail it gets the wobbles. The larger the sheet size probably the better the answer.

Need to see that cad file since i never had that problem here, and did worked for many years with AI files and cad converted ones. :o

r