Hatching Headache

grain

The denser, smaller the hatch scale, the longer it takes.

The more hatch areas you have, the longer it takes, if the hatches are not separate.

If you are not checking off the "Make Separate Hatches" box, you are actually adding to the hatched areas already there of the same pattern. Start hatch edit to change this. Select an existing hatch and see where the grip appears. If the grip is more or less centered among a group of hatches of the same pattern, then they are not separate. Check the box, then click OK.

If you are using associative hatch in very complicated boundaries, that can also slow you down. If you don't need this option use hatch edit to un-check the associative box too.

The less total physical memory, graphics and cpu you have, the slower it goes.

Hi Dana and thank you for your kind attention. I have unchecked all the option boxes. It works fine if i select object but not pick. i have 500gb spare and an i7 processor.

Hi Dana and thank you for your kind attention. I have unchecked all the option boxes. It works fine if i select object but not pick. i have 500gb spare and an i7 processor.
You didn't mention your graphics processor. If you have a minimal graphics card it can be slow no matter how large your main physical memory is. Do you have an "On Board" factory graphics processor, or a healthy aftermarket graphics processor? For instance, rather than rely on the minimal factory graphics processor, I ordered an NVidia GeForce GT 525M graphics card to be installed when I bought my laptop. I am only running a 4 GHz i5 but the machine is far from slow at AutoCadding.

It sounds more like the trouble may be in what AutoCad has to do to find a boundary when you pick a point inside an open area. Sometimes it helps to regen just before opening the hatch command, but not always.

If you are displaying your lineweight differential on screen, toggle it off, at least while hatching.

Are you using polylines? If so, joined and closed polyline shapes hatch like objects. If you are not using polylines maybe you can join the plain lines with 0 radius fillets.

Have you tried purge, to get rid of unnecessary junk in the AutoCad program database?

Run Audit, and tell it to fix any errors. This may help as much as anything else. Sometimes errors develop in the program database that can cause AutoCad to get a little confused about exactly where a line or circle might be

You can also use the -purge (dash required) version to purge Regapps. Purge all the regapps. If you do this, pay attention to the command line prompts so you don't purge things you might need later. You might be surprised at how many registered applications there are packed into the program that you don't need. Tell it NO when it asks you to verify each one. Otherwise you could be hitting enter for a while. I have one drawing that I purged 2348 regapps from just after opening the thing. Don't ask me what they are. I am not sure. I think they are little apps that Autocad uses to construct things, but does not flush them out when done with them. It doesn't hurt to purge them. AutoCad reloads one every time it needs one.

The program analyzes every line, every line crossing point, and every vertex in the lines surrounding your pick point. The more complex the shape, and the more area enclosed. the longer it will take.

This slowness in pick point hatching is an ongoing difficuty with autoCad and there is not a lot one can do about it, other than having a good strong graphics capable computer, and keeping your drawing as clean as possible.