Is my system requirements alright for LT 2014

PRSS

Hello everybody

This is the system on which I am running LT 2014 - 64 bit

1) OS: Windows 7(sp-1) 64 bit

2) Intel Core-i3 processor - 3rd generation

3) 4 GB RAM

4) Nvidia GeForce GT 630 with 2GB VRAM

I was previously running LT 2013 on the same computer with Windows XP 32 bit and it was running very fast.

Now with the Win 7 - 64 bit & LT 2014 64 bit, it seems to have slowed down. Even mundane operations like move, erase, etc. now & then creates a lag.

I have applied service packs & patches to fix all the bugs in LT 2014 64 bit.

The work being done on this computer is 2D Architectural Detailed drawings. The file size will be around 5 to 10 MB in size. While working, about 2 files of size app. 4 to 6 MB will be open in the background.

Except for this lag now & then I don't find any other problems. Hence I have started doubting the system requirements to run Win 7 - 64 bit Plus LT 2014 64 bit. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PRSS

The specs look OK although I would have bumped the RAM to 8GB.

Have you disabled the CommCenter (a.k.a. - the InfoCenter)?

Is hardware acceleration enabled?

Yes Sir, I have disabled the Communication center. But I have also disabled graphics acceleration because my card is GeForce - NOT Quadro - so not certified by Autodesk. I am having this card for SketchUP. Do you think switching it on would help?

This noon I had my vendor install an additional 4 GB RAM to one of the machines. The performance had really increased. So I have asked him to increase on the rest of the machines too.

One question: For doing just 2D drawings, is it really justified to spend so much on hardware? Earlier versions of Autocad LT 2013 & earlier- which were running in XP 32 bit - were able to handle quite large files & also with several medium size files open in background. Why has Autodesk made a 2D software - LT 2014 a resource hog ?

Best regarfs

PRSS

Try turning on hardware acceleration.

I have a co-worker running LT 2014 on a machine similar to yours (happens to be a Dell Optiplex) and he is not experiencing any problems.

LT 2014 is no more a resource hog than any previous version.

If you found that a 32-bit machine ran an earlier version of AutoCAD faster then ditch what you have and go backwards in time.

Might look into a different driver for your graphics card, your switch from 32-bit to 64-bit would have meant a different driver as well, sometimes the newest driver isn't always the best. GeForce GT 630 Drivers

Might also try several available methods to speed up Windows 7.

You might check Windows 7 64-bit experience index and see what is your weakest link.

Are there any automated processes that could be activating when this happens?

Thanks to both of you. If I had a choice I would have ditched this & gone bacwards in time. Autodesk does not give this choice as I am not under subscription & cannot use the previous version & I am now stuck with this LT 2014.

I shall check with the drivers & oexplore speeding up Windows 7 64 bit.

But after I had one system's RAM increased to 8 GB this noon, it is running quite fine. So 4GB had been insufficient for the combination of Win 7 & LT 2014.

Best regards

PRSS

It may also depend on what else you are running concurrent with AutoCAD being open. Besides Windows itself (a resource hog if there ever was one), there is your browser, anti-virus software, maybe MicroSoft Office or something similar, MS Outlook or something similar, plus God knows what else users like to have running that have nothing to do with work (music?). Performance may also be affected by whether or not you are working off of a network.

On the AutoCAD side of things are you using layer filters or xrefs?

No Sir, I am not using xref. My network is a simple shared network. Everything that has to be there are there in each computer. Only file transfers take place through windows.

Mine is a SOHO practice- my own house cum office. No network servers etc.

No Sir, again no software or music etc. runs while doing Autocad work. In fact only Autocad & Adobe reader & 7 zip are instslled on my staff's computers.- other than whatever utilities are installed by Win 7 pro.

Thank you so much for the interest taken. I am really thankful to you all for solving my problem.

Best regards

PRSS

Do you regularly -purge and audit your drawings?

Have you run the Overkill command on them as well?

RAM is not cheap here in India. You have to believe me. We have a very different kind of cost of living here. So we use only desktops, not work station CPUs. Hence the added cost of extra RAM does make a difference here.

Yes, I regularly audit & purge the drawing files. I have not used overkill. I shall use them.

Best regards

PRSS

But do you use the command line version of purge (i.e. with the dash like this: -purge)? Purge Regapps first then repeat and do a purge > All.

No, I haven't done that. I am hearing about REGAPP only now, though I am a veteran user of full Autocad since version R13 !! (1996). Glad that you told me about this. I shall do so.

Now, with this LT 2014, being heavy, I have decided to educate the few staff I have on really good & efficient practices in Autocad drafting to keep the file sizes to the minimum & avoid bloating.

Thank you very much for being so helpful.

Best regards

PRSS