Thank you, and a question

BeckyW

I've been lurking for some time and posted once. The advice and encouragement given then was very helpful; thank you. I'd thought I had posted a follow up including which book I'd purchased, but I see I did not. I opted to purchase Mastering AutoCAD 2013 and AutoCAD LT by George Omura with Brian C. Benton. Wow, am I glad I did. I find the explanations very helpful to understand the steps, as opposed to being told to do x, y, then z, with some possible explanation after the fact (this is PF's text). This has significantly increased the time it's taken me to complete chapters, but I have more of a clue now than I would have otherwise.

I'm planning on finishing the PF course since I've completed over 70% of it (with high marks if that matters) and can't save any money by stopping now. However, once I am done, do I admit I took the PF course? The jobs I've seen in my area require a certificate or course, though sometimes it's a two year course. I started the PF course in August 2013 and have until January 2015 to complete it, but I'm uncertain if that qualifies for the employers I'm watching. The second part of my question is what, if any, certification is useful for ensuring I know entry-level AutoCAD as well as demonstrating I'm competent and a good bet for hiring? I have been following this recent thread about a three day course from a reseller. We have two resellers reasonably close, making this a possibility if it would help demonstrate to a potential employer that I have a basic understanding of AutoCAD.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised you got no replies and I apologize that my response is late (by 15 days) but hopefully you'll return and see my comment.

Given that you have already invested so much time and money in the P-F course it only makes sense to finish the course. Isn't it true that upon completion P-F does award a certificate?

As for certifications you can go online to the AutoDesk website and look into their certification program. Start with this link...http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=14238652

The three day course offered by a reseller would only help to reinforce what you learned via the P-F coursework but it is up to you to determine if it would be worth the cost. In the meantime you could always go through the tutorials here at CADTutor and over at the myCADsite.com which comes highly recommended by many.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck in your endeavors.

ReMark

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the delay in my reply; I finished up a few more of the tests and am back visiting the forums again. I'm about to start Oleson Village and thought it best to see what all the previous questions posted here are about so I can avoid some frustration.

The Autodesk University looks like a great idea, though expensive with the costs of the trip almost matching the cost of the student pass. I used to live where flights were so cheap to go to Las Vegas. Now I live in Canada and it's expensive to fly anywhere (but it is very pretty here).

You're correct, ReMark, I will receive a certificate when I finish the PF course. My concern is this: if the understanding that PF's course has errors in it is an industry-wide understanding, will the expectation be that I don't know what I'm doing simply because I took the PF course? That's where the idea for getting the Autodesk certificate came to mind. The closest testing site to me is 400 miles away, but there is one close to some family we'll be visiting. With the reasonable exam cost, the time and effort to prepare will be worth the confidence boost. And as long as it's not a death-sentence for a job application, I'll add the PF certificate on my resume.

Becky:

You will find there are a number of threads re: the Oleson Village project some of which have numerous screen shots. You should not have any problem completing the required drawing.

I doubt that there is an industry-wide understanding regarding the P-F AutoCAD course that would lead people to believe students do not know what they are doing. Some students have gone on to obtain employment as a CAD tech from what I have read here at the CADTutor forums.

The Autodesk University looks like a great idea, though expensive with the costs of the trip almost matching the cost of the student pass. ...

I wasn't suggesting that you attend AU.

If you search that site - the past certification (on-line) prep classes are available for free.

Older classes available for free here http://www.augi.com

I wasn't suggesting that you attend AU.

If you search that site - the past certification (on-line) prep classes are available for free.

Older classes available for free here http://www.augi.com

Ah, excellent. Thank you!! I will go through those after I finish PF. And I won't be embarrassed to include the PF Certificate on my resume.

I appreciate both of you taking the time to answer.