Linetype issue

Andrew30

Hi,

Using AutoCAD LT 2008.

Have an issue with linetype. One of my layers is showing up as hidden in layout but in model is continuous. I have checked ltscale (1), psltscale (1), msltscale (1), cannoscale (1:1) and celtscale (1)and all are as they should be in both model and layout. I have checked linetype manager, layer properties manager (both list as continuous) and even right hand clicking and bringing up the properties section of the individual line (states by layer).

I could just match properties with another layer but feel this is cheating and would like to know what I have done wrong!

Any advice/assistance would be most appreciated.

Regards

msltscale (1), cannoscale (1:1)

When MSLTSCALE = 1, AutoCAD scales linetypes in Modelspace according to the Current Annotation Scale, therefore the Scale list in the status bar affects linetype scaling in Modelspace the same way it does in Paperspace/Viewport. Try picking a scale that's similar to the viewport/layout, then REGENALL.

Another possibility is that the Layout/Viewport has a linetype override applied. This is easy to detect by opening the Layer Manager to see if the layer has a blue background.

If still not solved, attach a sample drawing that contains at least one line that does not display as expected when switching from MS to PS and someone should be able to provide an exact explanation.

Thank you for your post Nestly. I tried your advice but it hasn't worked and upon further investigation I have a bigger problem then originally thought.

My project was carrying out alterations for a school across two floors. We had previously done work before (two jobs -fitting out the ground floor and then fitting out first floor) and I used the existing cad drawing and copied in some of the detail from one of the other jobs into my cad drawing. This didn't cause any problems at the time and it is only now that the internal walls layer has a line type problem (continuous in model space but dashed in paper space)just as I need to release the As Builts!

I have tried creating a new layer and then transferring across but this doesn't work. The only thing that works is matching it to another layer.

I have just opened up the old drawings and the internal walls layer is dashed in these as well! It appears that they are now all linked!

I can't seem to attach the cad drawing - maybe it is too large. I could email it to you if possible.

As per nestly's suggestion "attach a sample drawing that contains at least one line that does not display as expected." It does not have to be the entire drawing. That should greatly reduce the file size and allow you to attach a copy to your next post. The other option would be to use a file sharing website such as Dropbox.

That sounds to me like the Layer linetype for internal walls is "continuous" but has as VP linetype override for viewport.

Can you make a copy of the drawing, delete everything except some of the lines that are causing the problem, so all that's left is a few lines and one Layout tab in the drawing. Check the files size and if it's still to large to attach, try PURGEing it.

I'd be happy to have you email it to me as well, but I prefer not to post my email in public, so perhaps you can enable private messaging so I can give you an email that way.

Regarding dropbox, I think the forum won't allow you to post an hyperlink without moderator approval until you have a certain number of posts (5 or 10, I think)

Thanks Mark, I have uploaded it on to dropbox, how do I share it?

We would require a link to the file. I believe Dropbox provides instructions regarding how to do this.

As far as I can tell, it's just that linetypes are being scaled differently because the CANNOSCALE in MS is 1:1 and 1:50 in Layout/viewport. Try changing the MS Scale and REGEN. The other possibility is that a Plot Style file, is changing the display in the Layout/viewport.

Perhaps this will help

Thank you Nestly, however it is not the dado layer I have an issue with but the internal walls. However on your video had this layer exactly how I wanted them (continuous) but when I open the drawing at my end they are dashed!

Doc1.docx

Ok, in that case, my next guess is that the .ctb has been modified so that Color3 (Green) plots with "Dashed" linetype. Since "Display with Plotstyles" is checked for the layout, it also affects the display.

If only Color3 has been modified, it's easy enough to change it back and save the ctb... but if someone has made substantial changes to default monochrome.ctb, it may be easier to find the original mono ctb and just replace it.