Copy and pasting not working in lt 2014

bennyboy86

Hi all,

im sure this has been answered, if so please direct me to the right place.

so trying to copy and paste using coordinates, tried using mouse buttons, key board controls and using the edit drop down but to no success, will copy and paste for a couple then stop working.

thought might be size and amount of items in the drawings but no, it happens on drawings that are very small to very large....also doesn't matter what im trying to copy, tried coping a bit of text, a couple grids or some blocks....

its annoying the hell out of me cause I'm having to shut down cad several times a time and on occasion restart my computer.

thanks all in advanced

Do you get any text on the commandline, giving any clue why it fails?

This is a fairly common problem, and I have yet to find one-solution-fits-all to this problem - it could be a full Windows clipboard, it could be proxy objects, it could be scale-issues, it could be ten other things that I have yet to encounter.

I usually end up saying don't use copy-paste, use Insert instead - even if that is a pretty bad answer.

even if that is a pretty bad answer.

Nothing wrong with using a native AutoCAD command, instead of Windows clipboard, to insert.

i found that if i purge and audit both drawings it works fine....... a bit of a stuff around but a simple enough fix better then shutting down every 30mins...... i tried the insert trick and even that failed......never had this problem using full version of autocad but this LT version seems to be very buggy.....

sure is, just painful never had to do it that often, must be something within the templates and blocks im inserting

In a collaborative environment, purge and audit should be a regular thing for file maintenance.

+1 to that ^

I ALWAYS Purge and Audit files I receive from outside the office. It's amazing how many errors are found when Auditing some of these files I get.

In addition to errors, what amazes me is all the other extra carp I get, design options, CAD bombs, unused layouts...

Don't even get me started. I can't believe some of the drawings I receive, and some of the people I have to deal with. They obviously know nothing, but they try to tell me that I'm wrong and I don't know what I'm doing. I have to bite my tongue as I calmly and rationally explain to them the error of their ways. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

i love the drawings from architects that have everything on layer 0, dimensions exploded or over written..... good fun, dealt with one the other week, the entire job was in one DWG file, so that had 50 tabs......no xrefs just all in one.....

• 3 weeks later...

so a bit of an update here, so still having same problems but instead of sitting here for an hour yelling at my computer and then the inevitable close down of auto cad and some times the entire computer...i have downloaded a free program that is pretty much autocad.....called nanocad its made by russians and looks like autocad 2009, but never have an issue copying and pasting, so when autocad craps out i swap over do my thing the swap back, takes a whole 5 mins as opposed to wasting time with autocad not working.....much happier lol screaming at computer has at least halved....

You should not have to resort to using alien software. There are a lot of reasons why copy/paste does not work. One being copying entities that were created with a vertical product and not properly converting the file for use with your particular version.

Have you looked into this at all?

i had a big rant written but not going to say it, pretty much this is the solution that works for me and saves me wasting hours a week. tried a number things to fix autocad LT but i think there is the issue.... LT....

Sometimes the problem is with the Units of source drawing and target drawing and insertion units. So it copy- paste but you can' t see them. So try playing with setting of those variables.

Sometime the problem is also in the file name or block name if you are trying to copy paste blocks, and the same name block exist in the drawing.

I know this is very basic stuff and it may sound stupid but a lot of time this is the sort of things people miss.