How to draw a section view of a proposed new driveway cut into a hill

grain

Hi all,

I have been asked by a friend if I can help him produce a sectional drawing

showing a proposed driveway as it cuts into a hill. As there is no budget for hiring expensive Trimble equipment can someone please recommend or point me in the direction of a method of gathering the information and how then to plot it our to produce the 2D drawings.

Thanks

John

Just lay out a tape measure you should attempt as much as possible to keep it level and tight, take a level measurement at say even increments the more the better using a dumpy or laser level, if you can not get these you can use a string, level it by using a water hose set string to water level on both ends this is horizontal, then draw it up at 1:1 true measurements.

Here is one I did earlier and checked for car bottoming out.

ScreenShot007.jpg

Thanks Bigal,

That sounds interesting and possible. Can you go into a little more detail of the full process.

A dumpy level and a leveling rod would be better.

How wide will the driveway be? Will there be a shoulder and either/both sides? If so, how wide will it be?

Like Remark if the driveway is reasonably level along the road you can probably get away with 1 line like I have shown. If the road has significant slope then I would do 3 lines each edge and the middle. Check each line.

The block is what is known as a standard vehicle this matches the 85% of vehicles. In the UK it may be slightly different than ours, which is a 2.8m wheelbase 130mm ground clearance with front and rear projection, you can check manually by sliding the block along the design line and rotating it so the wheels just touch, I just have a program to do that. A little hint told to me was draw a circle 13m radius this is wheel-car centre-wheel this is a bottom out curve also we use 13% max grade change as a guide. A typical road 3% downslope so you can have a 10% up slope. Lots of stuff creeps in is the vehicle approaching at right angles does it approach on a turning angle. Is there 4 adults on board.

Disclaimer all this information is provide as a guide to checking a vehicle path and if in doubt should be checked by an engineer.

Ps some I have had to deal with small Bus, Caravan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies so far. You can see from the attached photo that the

public single track road that the proposed driveway is to run from is on a steep

gradient. The drive would be 3M with a Kerb either side.

I have to admit I can't quite picture how to produce the drawing. Can you recommend what the ideal sectional view would be for such a proposal. If anyone has a link to a similar project that would be very helpful.

I'm thinking a sectional view of the hillside showing the gradient of the minor road with the gradient of the driveway angled away in the opposite direction

with the gradient smoothing out and driveway widening to create a sweep around for cars leaving the driveway and proceeding down the hill. Then an additional sectional view showing the 3M width of the driveway with kerb and grass verge and the cutaway into the bank on one side and falling away on the opposite. All I need now is a bit of science.:ouch:

Coedwig 002 (1).jpg

No. You first need some survey data. For example, it might be nice to know what the centerline profile of the existing driveway is. Then it might be nice to have sections made up showing the existing topography. When you have the existing information then you can move on to the task of designing the improvements to be made (i.e. - widening and kerbs). This doesn't happen by magic; it happens by doing some serious work. Do you have any surveying experience? How long is this driveway? Do you have any topography maps for the area? Do you even have a plot plan of the property?

Hi Remark,

Yes that the science. Collecting of empirical evidence.

I'm researching into the possibility of accomplishing the task myself on a shoe string budget.

Well you're going to need a longer shoestring. While I find it commendable you want to help your friend you should do so only after assessing what resources are going to be required to complete the task.

By the way, are you going to answer any of my questions?

Looking at the photo this terrain is at the extreme. You really do need some professional advice, if you do not want an engineering answer then at least meet on site with your preferred earth moving contractor, they will quickly advise.

I travel along the Great Ocean Road a lot and there are driveways like this and it is an art to get them to work, I would not attempt to drive into them, even down to what sort of vehicle will access this entrance.