Managing all those CAD files

tom111

Hi, and thanks for reading this :)

I'll briefly explain the issue:

I am acting on behalf of a property fund that has recently acquired a shopping centre. They will be carrying out various landlord works to the units that comprise the shopping centre which I will be designing. The original architect has emailed me as-built drawings for the entire development.

Currently, my folder structure is as follows:

Multrees Shopping Centre

Multrees Shopping Centre\Steven Street Yard

Multrees Shopping Centre\Steven Street Yard

Multrees Shopping Centre\Unit 12 and Unit 13

Multrees Shopping Centre\Unit 12 and Unit 13\CAD

Multrees Shopping Centre\Unit 4

Multrees Shopping Centre\Unit 4\CAD

My concern is that when all the refurbishment works are carried out and the client will want new as-builts, the way I have structured things, I will have to make a new CAD and carefully go through each project to work out what I changed and add it into a master CAD file.

What would be an easier way of doings things so basically all my sheets refer to the same drawing? I don't want a million tabs in one CAD file, and I don't think my workstation would be able to handle it.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Tom,

You need to research X-refs and Sheet sets.

X-refs allow you to reference one base file on many DWG files. This is handy for keeping the lines and arcs coordinated.

Sheet sets are handy for keeping layouts coordinated, so you don't have to have lot's of tabs in one file.

You can also use E-transmit from a sheet set to easily archive the whole project set at key points to help you track changes.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

• 2 weeks later...

My concern is that when all the refurbishment works are carried out and the client will want new as-builts, the way I have structured things, I will have to make a new CAD and carefully go through each project to work out what I changed and add it into a master CAD file.

A master CAD file is not necessarily the way to go. Personally I would treat this as 3 or 4 different projects, e.g. Unit 4 is its own project etc and will have its own as built drawings.

If someone in the future wants a combined asbuilt of the whole shopping centre then my opinion is they can either pay you to then do that, or compile it themselves from the asbuilts of the other individual parts of the sopping centre

What does your original contract state you are responsible for delivering throughout, and at the end of the project?

Depending on your contract with the client(s), you may not be paid separately at the end of/when they want more. Regardless you should be using a data structure that helps you beat accomplish what you're contractually obligated to provide.

That said, I'm a huge fan of Sheet Set Manager (SSM), despite a few shortcomings, it's the best way I've found to manager projects of various size, keep them organized from concept, preliminary, and construction plans.

XREFs are invaluable, and allow you the ability to use the same 'master' existing site plan, with individual contract-based proposed site plans for any number of units throughout your project(s).

Cheers

I've started by using an XREF. I'll explore the sheet sets manager as well.

My only concern is if I make it too complicated then my colleagues will have difficulty interpreting what I'm doing (i.e. CAD drawings aren't really our core product).

Contractually we have to provide as-builts of the whole development on completion of the refurbishments.