PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fitting Wall Planning Application

markgobell
4th Dec 2003, 05:58 pm
I do not have a copy of Autocad, only the viewer Volo View Express, so I have no idea about the capabilities of CAD software.

We sell shelving / storage systems into retail shops. These systems consist of a number of components such as shelves, uprights, brackets, etc etc.

Our supplier has given us a DWG file for each of the components in the range.

What we would like to do is to find some software that would enable us to use these CAD DWG files so that we could plan out a client's shop for them using a PC, in much the same way as we can do for kitchen planning etc.

Is this something that a product like AutoCad can do or am I way off here ?

Any help would be greatlky appreciated.

Thank you.

Mark Gobell
IT Analyst
Morplan

(01279) 775535
mark.gobell@morplan.com
www.morplan.com

f700es
4th Dec 2003, 09:31 pm
I do not have a copy of Autocad, only the viewer Volo View Express, so I have no idea about the capabilities of CAD software.

We sell shelving / storage systems into retail shops. These systems consist of a number of components such as shelves, uprights, brackets, etc etc.

Our supplier has given us a DWG file for each of the components in the range.

What we would like to do is to find some software that would enable us to use these CAD DWG files so that we could plan out a client's shop for them using a PC, in much the same way as we can do for kitchen planning etc.

Is this something that a product like AutoCad can do or am I way off here ?

Any help would be greatlky appreciated.

Thank you.

Mark Gobell
IT Analyst
Morplan

(01279) 775535
mark.gobell@morplan.com
www.morplan.com

Hello Mark, I would have to say that "yes" AutoCAD can do that. Are the files in 3D or 2D or do you even know? There are cheap-o "clones" of AutoCAD out there - IntelliCAD for example. It has a 30 day demo if not mistaken. Are you going to be generating 2D plans or 3D models? If just 2D then AutoCAD LT (which is under $700 USD) might be an answer. If models and price is an issue then perhaps Rhino 3D might be an option. It can open dwg files and is a very good 3D application and it is about 1/3 the price ($895 USD) of full blown AutoCAD.

AutoDesk will send you a 30 day demo cd of AutoCAD for you to try.
www.Autodesk.com

Rhino 3D
www.rhino3d.com

Good luck :)