PDA

View Full Version : scale spookyness

or_isnt_he
3rd Nov 2006, 03:06 am
Im using Cad 2007. When i try to scale my drawing in paperspace, something bizzare happens. Cad seems to be scaling the drawing by some inverse scale factor. For instance, ( I use the viewports toolbar w/ dropdown scales) I type in 1"=100' and the drawing zooms out. My project is the redesign of the city of New Orleans. At 100 scale, the entire city with room to spare should definitely not fit on 11x17 paper.

Does anybody know what is going on here?

tzframpton
3rd Nov 2006, 03:45 am
Im using Cad 2007. When i try to scale my drawing in paperspace, something bizzare happens. Cad seems to be scaling the drawing by some inverse scale factor. For instance, ( I use the viewports toolbar w/ dropdown scales) I type in 1"=100' and the drawing zooms out. My project is the redesign of the city of New Orleans. At 100 scale, the entire city with room to spare should definitely not fit on 11x17 paper.

Does anybody know what is going on here?
that's what it's suppose to do, "zoom out".

think about it.... you're craming 100' into a single inch. try a different scale.... 1" = 20'-0" or something along those lines. just keep trying it till you get where you want.

tzframpton
3rd Nov 2006, 03:49 am
oh wait, the entire city of new orleans? well, i dunno then. can you upload the file and let me take a look at it?

or_isnt_he
3rd Nov 2006, 03:56 am
oh wait, the entire city of new orleans? well, i dunno then. can you upload the file and let me take a look at it?

How do I upload files here?

tzframpton
3rd Nov 2006, 03:59 am
click the "Go Advanced" button next to "Post Quick Reply". then under the textbox, there's an attachment manager. 8)

or_isnt_he
3rd Nov 2006, 04:22 am
The file is too big... I'll delete some layers and such to try and shrink it down. It'll be up a soon as possible

tzframpton
3rd Nov 2006, 04:32 am
PURGE the file a couple of times, that will prolly help.

or_isnt_he
3rd Nov 2006, 04:47 am
still too big

tzframpton
3rd Nov 2006, 05:11 am
hmm, well how big is it? what's the limit on here? can you email it?

or_isnt_he
3rd Nov 2006, 05:17 am
THe limit is 250 KB, which is rediculous. Yes i could email it to you, however the file is at the lab right now, and i didnt bring home a copy. I will email it to you tomorrow. Is there a way to swap emails?

Boro Nut
3rd Nov 2006, 12:49 pm
THe limit is 250 KB, which is rediculous. Yes i could email it to you, however the file is at the lab right now, and i didnt bring home a copy. I will email it to you tomorrow. Is there a way to swap emails?

Draw a line or box on a new layer around all the other entities, then delete and purge everything but the box. It's only the overall size you're trying to depict after all.

For a whole city I'd expect you'd need something in the order of map scales - 1:10 000 or more. 1" to 100' is only 1:1200

PS - if your redesigning the city isn't it about time you lads went metric? You signed up before we did.

Boro Nut

or_isnt_he
3rd Nov 2006, 07:03 pm
Clearing up a few points of confusion (not that this should matter to you all but here goes)

1) We're landscape architects, not civil engineers or planners. Architectural units are the standard.
2) The 100 scale plan is a detail blow-up. obviously the whole city cannot be printed at 100scale.

or_isnt_he
3rd Nov 2006, 07:03 pm
I will get the file prepared for posting before i go home today.

or_isnt_he
3rd Nov 2006, 08:14 pm
FIGURED IT OUT!!....it was the plot scale that was tripping me up.

tzframpton
3rd Nov 2006, 08:39 pm
lol, good job. 8)