bak file

jsongz113

i have some problem about BAK file. i accidentally change the program that open the bak file. then come a time that i need to use BAK file. i cannot rename it to .dwg the file will be XXX.dwg.bak. i had tried many ways to bring it back to unknown file just like before but none of them really work. please help anyone.. tanx. im using windows 7 & CAD2007

You don't need to set up a file type to open your .bak files. Just double click on the .bak file and select RENAME, then delete the bak and replace it with dwg, meaning that the file name ends with '.dwg' . Then when you click on it to open it, it should open with Autocad. If for some reason it is still trying to open with an inappropriate program, choose OPEN WITH and specify Autocad 2007.

When you try to reformat the file type, you will be advised that it may make the file unopenable, ignore that and continue changing the .bak file type to .dwg and then you will be able to open it.

like i said i had already accidentally change the program that open it. i dont remember how it happened. now i cant rename it anymore. whenever i tried the file just became XXX.dwg.bak. :P

Untitled.jpg

see that the file name is "floor plan_1_1_8145 (8).dwg" but the file is type is BAK. if i double click it AUTOCAD will open but with error or will stop responding. right now im reading some notes to help solve this problem. that i have search.. hope this one work. i have tried regedit but unluckily it didnt work. i'll post it anyway. thanks dadgad i appreciate your intention to help. :D god bless!!

Change your file view to DETAILS, and display the column TYPE (not really necessary, but may prove informative). Right click on the file icon, then select RENAME. I just renamed one to .bak and back again to .dwg. It shouldn't be a problem, and yes, I realize you agree with that last statement. Sounds like you are now trying to use the DRAWING RECOVERY MANAGER, which should be another viable option. Right click on the .bak file and OPEN. That or you could try the system save version, and open that one.

Actually, you didn't change the extension from .bak to .dwg.... You just renamed file adding ".dwg" at the end.

You must un-check option "Hide extensions for...

folder options.jpg

• 2 years later...

The above worked perfectly. Wish I had scrolled down and seen the post before figuring it out on my own. If that post can be bumped to the top, it should be!