Scale in AutoCad

Frazer1987

Hello,

i have a question regarding the scale option in AutoCad. If the Scale you wanted to set was 1:150 how would you go about doing this?

Cheers.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• gsksun4

• Frazer1987

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so i take it in most cases measurement is done in mm? then u just set the scale to whatever size you need?

cheers

Draw everything FULL size in model space.

The Scale command is for enlarging or shrinking an object. It has nothing to do with the "scale" of the drawing.

After completing your model space drawing switch to a Layout. Layouts give us access to paper space. In paper space we create viewports. Viewports are windows that allow us to see objects we created back in model space. It is the viewport that a scale is applied to.

am i right in saying though if u are looking at a drawing (not a cad drawing) and it has a scale of 1:150 and you were to draw this in model space if the length of the drawing was say 100 m you would draw the length in model space as 100x150 correct?

this might start to get confusing :wink:

If the line measures 100mm at 1:150 (assuming that you have a hand scale for 1:150 to measure the line) than you draw the line as 100mm in model space. If the hand scale you are using is only 1:1 and the line measures 100mm than yes you would scale the line up to get the actual length of the line you want to draw in model space.

still confused.

basically am drawing a layout of a boat in autocad the scale is 1:150. If i measure with my ruler the bit of the boat i want to draw it is 130mm length on the bit of paper. so does that mean i draw 130 mm line for the length in model space?

still confused.

basically am drawing a layout of a boat in autocad the scale is 1:150.

You do not scale the boat, draw it 1:1 draw it the way it is in the real world.

Once you get it drawn representing the real world come back and ask how to get it on a sheet of paper.

the drawing of the boat is already done and finished it is sitting in front of me just now on a piece of paper, it was not done using autocad.

I am only copying a section of the boat layout into autocad so as i said in question above do i draw a line that measures 13 mm with a ruler or do i need to multiply that by 150 to give me the actual length since the boat is already scaled at 1:150

You have a drawing of a boat that has no dimensions but it has a scale?

Then you are going to have to measure first and do the math based on the scale of the drawing. That assumes the drawing wasn't enlarged or reduced to begin with in which case whatever you arrive at isn't going to be correct.

If you have a line that measures 13mm on your scale drawing (post #11), then you would draw a line 1950 units long in AutoCAD.

If you had a line 130mm long on your scale drawing (post #9), then you would draw a line 19500 units long in AutoCAD.

AutoCAD draws in drawing units which you can call what you like, but in this case millimetres. :D

ok thanks.

i also presume that everything needs to be converted in mm for autocad?

Did you start from the Imperial (inch) template or did you start from the Metric (mm) template?

Sorry to interrupt, but do you set the scale of the plot in the viewport and the page setup manager?

Glenn

2009LT

hit another snag now, if u draw a line in model view that is 19500 mm long how do zoom out enough that u can see all of the line as it wont let me go any firther than i already have.

Sorry to interrupt, but do you set the scale of the plot in the viewport and the page setup manager?

Glenn

2009LT

Who is this question directed at?

Who is this question directed at?

Any one of the above. I'm doing the tutorial on viewport plotting and getting confused. Now there's setting scale in the viewport, setup mgr, and plot manager. She say's though, in the plot tool it should always be 1:1, and I know to set the scale in the viewport. I didn't mean to hijack the thread though. Sorry to interrupt.