Dropdown List

CADproNY

I am trying to create a dropdown list, what I am looking to do seems simple enough in theory. Just like excel I want to create a data validation (list).

option 1, I have read several post's with people who seem to be trying to accomplish the same thing, the answers I am finding are basically saying to paste a link to the excel file. This would be great except the folder the excel file would be in is always re-named from (template) to a specific job name, thus causing my link to break and teaching everyone in the dept. how to re-link the file seems like a pain.

option 2, I was thinking of doing a visibility state on an mtext or attribute, I couldn't get the attribute to change visibility states and the visibility state for mtext does not seem like the right solution.

option 3, using a table or data extraction in CAD from the pasted in excel file, thus allowing me to create the drop down list.

Attached are 2 pictures of the what I am working with, we use an excel file to write out a list of materials (always different) and then we have to re-type or copy and paste these materials into the titleblock.

We are using ACAD Arch 2012 & 2013

Thanks in advance for any advice, macros, or solutions

!Problem = Need drop down list ---> Want to select the W# ---> Want the description to populate the titleblock from CAD table or excel

Capture2.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Edited by CADproNY

You could pretty easy use a DCL list to pick what you want, you could use your excell to write a data file CSV that the list is polulated from, if you want to go this way just post.

Yes, I am interested although I'm not quite sure what DCL acronym stands for. Would this need to run through SQL Database?

I was able to get the attribute to change visibility after a few more tries, this does accomplish the dropdown I was looking to get but it does not do any of the description populating I am trying to simultaneously accomplish.

Programmable Dialouge Boxes, DCL "Dialouge Control Language" all the boxes you see for input a list box is one type available check out help if stuck post again

, can supply examples.

I have found a site that explains DCL http://www.afralisp.net/dialog-control-language/tutorials/getting-started-part-1.php (Looks like I will be learning how to write yet another type of code :?)

I'm not quite sure yet how exactly this would solve my issue though. Can I eventually link this somehow to the excel file? I just started reading the tutorials....

Edited by CADproNY

You can read directly from Autocad excel cells so you could populate your list, do this task in two stages have a list and get the picking to work, 2nd be able to make a list from excel cells, add two together I would expect there to be example of this somewhere its a obvious task, google etc

Thanks Lee

By finding also a read a "excel" then you add the correct look up table to real time operation.

Theres lot of examples out there Column A Column B Column C

I would do but an area of limited expertise. Hmmm xmas 10 days off