Import a JPEG into AutoCAD LT

Krisoula

Hi, I have a floor plan that I need to draw, but I only have a hard copy. I scanned the hard copy and made it into a jpeg, but now I need to import it into AutoCAD in order to trace over it. I tried putting the image into a word document, then copying and pasting. It worked, but it made autoCAD run really funny and it was impossible to draw, nevermind trace over it. Is it possible to do this with a raster image, and how does that work? Can I make the jpeg into a dwf or dwg file? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Hi, I have a floor plan that I need to draw, but I only have a hard copy. I scanned the hard copy and made it into a jpeg, but now I need to import it into AutoCAD in order to trace over it. I tried putting the image into a word document, then copying and pasting. It worked, but it made autoCAD run really funny and it was impossible to draw, nevermind trace over it. Is it possible to do this with a raster image, and how does that work? Can I make the jpeg into a dwf or dwg file? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Yes you can print a jpeg to a dwf file. You will need the free DWF printer from AutoDesk. Can your version of LT insert DWF files though?

Well, I was messing around with autoCAD yesterday trying to figure this out, (I'm not super autoCAD profficient) and I swore I saw an option to import a dwf. But now when I go back I only see options for dwg, wmf, and clp. I'm sorry. Could I make the jpeg a dimtick or a raster image? Thank you very much for your time and help!

Yes. It is to scale, thankfully.

Thank you all so much for your assistance, you have all been very helpful!

Thanks riga, that linked worked!! Then I just copied the image from that document into my own and redirected the image path again. I am very happy right now, I have other hard copy plans that I needed to draw into CAD and now I can trace them!

Thank you!! I may not be able to help you with CAD, but if you have a question about drapes, furniture or carpeting, let me know!!:D

Yes. It is to scale, thankfully.

Thank you all so much for your assistance, you have all been very helpful!

Thanks riga, that linked worked!! Then I just copied the image from that document into my own and redirected the image path again. I am very happy right now, I have other hard copy plans that I needed to draw into CAD and now I can trace them!

Thank you!! I may not be able to help you with CAD, but if you have a question about drapes, furniture or carpeting, let me know!!:D

Cool, if it works rock on. I myself have yet to get results that I am pleased with doing the "trace over raster" thing. Best of luck. :)

Tracing is pretty accurate if you are tracing someone elses floor plans. Since the ones I have are hand drawn there is already a larger margin for error due to lead thickness and smudges, and it isn't a very neat plan either. But when I started to draw these plans in CAD, the dimensions were off here and there, hence I wanted to import the old plans. So now, it will be exactly what I was given to duplicate and if measurements are off then it won't be my fault (just have to make sure it is exactly to scale or it is my fault). But I do think tracing is accurate as long as you scale it right. Thanks again!!! We'll see how it comes out....Oh yeah, these plans are really just for furniture layouts anyways, its not as if there will be a structure built off of them-in that case I would probably draw w/o tracing. But for furniture layouts it wouldn't be tragic if just an inch or two was off.

• 1 year later...

There is software that will allow you to convert tiff, jpeg, bmp, wmf, etc. files to dwf files which can then be imported into AutoCAD LT. Some of them can cost as little as $30 for a personal license.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone instruct me on how to insert a jpeg into AutoCad LT 2005? It seems I am only able to insert it as a file and then it does not show up when I plot.