DIMENSIONING DEBATE: MODEL OR PAPER SPACE?!

Guest jt6572

Do you dimension in Model Space or Paper Space?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you dimension in Model Space or Paper Space?

• Model Space
    • Paper Space
    • I have no idea what you are talking about

Guest jt6572

hi guys,

my colleagues and i have been discussing the amazingly interesting and highly controversial topic of whether dimensioning in model or paperspace is best.

i for one, am an old fashioned model space guy, using scaled dims. but others are using dims scaled to paperspace in paperspace.

both have ads and disads. what is your opinion?

one of the things i dont like about dimensioning in PS is that sometimes when you move around in your viewport the dims dont completely move (i use viewports a lot, and am always stretching and moving them and panning around).

anyone got any views they would like to contribute?

and how do i make this a poll? i put a title in the 'poll question' field but no poll?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lazer

• WannaBeCader

• EMS_0525

• DANIEL

Good question jt6572. I've always used model space myself but I often wonder if it's only because I've never tried dimensioning in paper space :oops:

I added the poll for you.

Guest Dr.Syn

I model in modelspace & dim using paperspace, I'm using 2000 & 2004. I believe in previous vertions it didn't matter??

I don't know how I'd do it if I started with 2D. I suppose I could do that the same way.

I tried adding all my text and dims in paper space after hearing some users rating it,but after a couple of weeks I soon tunred back.I found that if you needed to change the scale of your drawing say an enginer wanted the drawing on a different paper size it wasnt as straight forward as it would be if I had my text in paper space.Also if someone who wasnt that CAD literate opened the drawing,unlocked the vport & tried panning back and forth in paper space it could knock all the dims and text out of line with the drawing in model space.

I tried adding all my text and dims in paper space after hearing some users rating it,but after a couple of weeks I soon tunred back.I found that if you needed to change the scale of your drawing say an enginer wanted the drawing on a different paper size it wasnt as straight forward as it would be if I had my text in paper space.Also if someone who wasnt that CAD literate opened the drawing,unlocked the vport & tried panning back and forth in paper space it could knock all the dims and text out of line with the drawing in model space.

Send them the file with the viewports XREFed to avoid that. You can control editing of the Xrefs.

Nick

Guest jt6572

Thanks very much for adding the poll, 'Site Administrator'. :)

hi hyposmurf, the reasons you mentioned are some of the ones i thought too. i tried it out for a little while (paperspace) and really liked the simplicity of having just one dim style and how they followed the entities you had dimensioned. but then, as i said, i dont think it is for me.

Send them the file with the viewports XREFed to avoid that. You can control editing of the Xrefs.

:huh: Very Interesting, Mr. T....Could you give more details on that?

However, I dimension in both PS and MS...more in MS than in PS though. I use PS when I haven't defined any Dimension Style to suit the drawing. :shock: Baaah....I depends on the mood I find myself.

Guest pennylove

I perfer ps. You can lock the viewports and if you have a very good drafting standards in your office, the stupid people who don't know what they are doing wont' mess it up. Also, it is easier for people who get confused on the sizes of text, the fit scale, and those who have trouble setting up dimstyles. It's easier to have just one. Plus, not only can you lock the layer, but also display lock the viewport. Only unlock it when absolutely neseccary.

Hi, all.

We dimension in model space because we make two sets of drawings:

One set on a printer at 8.5 x 11 to use as shop tickets (guidelines for the plant foreman and material saw stations)

The second set on a D-size plotter on velum (in pieces at 1 to 1 scale) to piece together for use by the stone carvers as full-sized templates on the shop floor.

Needless to say, we create the dimensions in text big enough to be understandable when reduced to a letter-size sheet of paper.

Vince G.

Argyle Cut Stone Co., Inc.

I believe in ps. You can have severl diffrent scales on the same sheet and everything can still be drawin correctly. If you have diffrent size sheets you can also have more then one ps setup by creating a 2nd or 3d of 4th....ect layout. :D

:huh: Very Interesting, Mr. T....Could you give more details on that?

However, I dimension in both PS and MS...more in MS than in PS though. I use PS when I haven't defined any Dimension Style to suit the drawing. :shock: Baaah....I depends on the mood I find myself.

Also try using an overlay only XREF.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2874944&linkID=2475323

OR

More simply type the command OPTIONS, then look for OPEN/SAVE

tab then, bottom left SECURITY options and use a password. :D

I'm sure a google search would be fruitful for lisps. I know NOTHING

about lisps.

:oops:

Nick

I am a big fan of Paperspace Dims...I learned modelspace early in college, then later learned Paperspace. It takes some getting used to, but in the end i find it to be much quicker and easier. Scaling is much easier.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest jeanm315

I personally prefer to demension in model space. It is much easier to screw it up in paper space because you cannot lock the vport til you are done and that will not do you any good.

Rightly or wrongly, I dimension in MS because a fair proportion of what I do is designed as I go along rather than built up from existing data. Therefore, I insert dimensions in MS, as much as a reference for myself while I work, as anything else.

I've learned to set it all up properly once and then the dimensions are present and correct at the finish.

I can't imagine doing it any other way. It's horses for courses I guess. :?

You can lock vport b4 your done in fact as soon as i create a vport i lock it to the scale i want the use grips to size it. Not currently because the company i work for doesnt use ps, but what i like to do when i use ps is create my drawing in ms then set up titleblk and dim and notes in ps.(1 size fits all) if i have any drawing changes switch back to ms and make changes then swith back to ps and make changes if needed. vports work really well if you need to show severial diffrent things in the same area of if diffrent details are ontop of eachother. you can still have only one drawing to change on file and then in ps set up diffrent vports and freeze layers as needed in viewport. :)

Guest paul_fox

Paper space for me as I thats the way I was taught I find its much easier and as I use multiple viewports on most drawings, guess that makes me a newbie in more ways than one now 8)