Creating Bending Linetype

KyleA724

Hi All,

Generally for drawing cable, I use a p-line (generally curve or spline fit) and change my global width to the diameter of that cable. This is usually exactly what I need to show. HOWEVER, when a complicated drawing arises with several different types of cable in one particular area, I have to differentiate the cables by altering their appearance for ease of tracing that wire in a black and white printout.

Before, I would offset the polyline to either side, close in the ends and fill with a hatch. This works ok, but is time consuming and the hatch doesn't rotate relative to the line.

I tried to be clever with the express tools linetype creator, but autocad won out. See Pic for my attempt.

It looks ok zoomed out (except for the dots in the center of the line, which need to go). However, when zoomed in, the curve is actually an assembly of straight segments that overlap on the inside and don't meet up on the outside of the curve.

Can someone point me in the right direction for instructions, tips, pointers for creating "bending" linetypes? I've already accepted that I'm probably going to have to somewhat learn lisp... hit me with it.

Thanks!

Kyle

screenshot1.jpg

Not sure how you would go about the problem above.

How about putting your fat polyline on a layer that has a transparent value, so that others underneath are still visible? You could still have thin polylines either side with no transparent value.

Our customers receive hard copies and cad files of all drawings, which must adhere to their layer standards. So adding, changing a layer is a no-no. The spline method is the best I have right now. (spline the center line, offset half of diameter on either side, delete center, close off the ends, trim all in the background, hatch).

I was really just looking for an easier method. So if this will not work for what i'm doing right now, can I still learn how to make a linetype that bends? I saw this linetype when searching for and answer and knowing how to make a linetype similar to this would be perfect for cables!

braid2.png

Edited by KyleA724
of to off

Before, I would offset the polyline to either side, close in the ends and fill with a hatch. This works ok, but is time consuming and the hatch doesn't rotate relative to the line.

Perhaps modify your way slightly by making a diagonal block, and then place it along the centre polyline using Measure. This is almost hatching but does rotate with the curves.

Curved-hatch.jpg

Kyle:

I can point you to a custom lisp routine that will align a hatch pattern to fit a curved path if you are interested.