how to extrude 3D polylines to 3D solid?

kay scarpetta

hi,

I wish to know how to extrude polylnes to 3D solids in autocad?

I am new in cad, and i have around 100 shapes with height but in polylines, so i have to extrude.. i need someone to please tell me how to do this..

i searched online and on utube, but i found only how to draw directly.

For my case i already have my 3D polylines. i need to extrude..

I am grateful for any help..

kay

3D polylines can be extruded only if all of the segments of the line are coplaner. Try this test: If you can select the 3D polyline that represents the "base" of one of the buildings, try to extrude it. Choose Extrude, select the 3D Polyline, press Enter so you're only trying to extrude one entity, then enter a number for the height. See if that works. If no luck, let us know exactly what shows in the command line window.

Why did you start a new thread?

I don't know what Youtube videos you were watching, but there are lots of videos about extruding shapes in Autocad: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=autocad+extrude

its jsut that am soo confused...

i have heaps of building shapes as u saw, with different height and so on..

I have created this file with a lot of hard work for weeks..

Now i am so lost, i never once used Autocad in my life.. and i have a 1 week deadline. :( :( :(

Why did you start a new thread?

I don't know what Youtube videos you were watching, but there are lots of videos about extruding shapes in Autocad: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=autocad+extrude

everything am reading and watching is showing how to create polyline and then extrude..

nowherre is showing how to extrude the already designed polylines in 3D..

so u see why am soo confused?

3D polylines can be extruded only if all of the segments of the line are coplaner. Try this test: If you can select the 3D polyline that represents the "base" of one of the buildings, try to extrude it. Choose Extrude, select the 3D Polyline, press Enter so you're only trying to extrude one entity, then enter a number for the height. See if that works. If no luck, let us know exactly what shows in the command line window.

thank you for your reply

I tried one building it did work indeed, but its not making the shape of the top of the building.. when am extrude am taking from the base and pulling up.. so the top of each building is different.... its not working finally...:( :( :(

I just tried using the LOFT command and it worked pretty well. You just need to delete the vertical 3D Polylines so that only the the base and the top polylines remain. Then run the LOFT command, select the bottom polyline and then the top polyline and this will create a Solid. You will still have to do each shape one at a time, but I think it will be better than trying to Extrude each one to the correct height. And by my estimation, you have a lot more than 100 shapes. More like 1,000.

Just out of curiosity, what is this project for?

I just tried using the LOFT command and it worked pretty well. You just need to delete the vertical 3D Polylines so that only the the base and the top polylines remain. Then run the LOFT command, select the bottom polyline and then the top polyline and this will create a Solid. You will still have to do each shape one at a time, but I think it will be faster than trying to Extrude each one to the correct height. And by my estimation, you have a lot more than 100 shapes. More like 1,000.

for one of my research article...

I just completed my PhD.

I just tried using the LOFT command and it worked pretty well. You just need to delete the vertical 3D Polylines so that only the the base and the top polylines remain. Then run the LOFT command, select the bottom polyline and then the top polyline and this will create a Solid. You will still have to do each shape one at a time, but I think it will be better than trying to Extrude each one to the correct height. And by my estimation, you have a lot more than 100 shapes. More like 1,000.

hey i created a new file and try to export my 1 building to .stl and still i obtain error!!!

I just tried and it worked.. but OMG, its one building at a time.

have you any idea how to do this by group?

Sorry but no. I don't know of any easy way to do this other than one at a time.

Well, I'm not sure what the problem is. If you run the Export command and select the object it should either export or give you an error message but it seems that neither of these things is happening. I don't know if there is a problem with the export function in 2010 or if you're doing something wrong, but it's getting late and I need to get some sleep. Hopefully someone else will be along shortly with some ideas. Good luck.

am downlaoding the cad 2016...

lets see what happens..thanks heaps for all dear Cad 64

on my part of the world its 10 am

thanks

kay