Changing units (globally) on existing drawing

SR1

It seems that every time I step away from ACAD for a few months I forget the simplest things...

Right now I have an existing drawing (supposed to be scaled correctly) that has dimensions in meters (utility lines with dimension text stated in meters, and when I do a dimension measurement that is in meters too). I'd like to change all of this to feet, so that when I do a simple dimension measurement, that's in feet, and also so when I make a new line for a utility it is automatically annotated in feet (or maybe feet on top of the line and meters on the bottom) I know this is possible, but I've just forgotten how. Please help.

BTW, I have just typed "units" but it doesn't seem to change everything globally.

Using AutoCAD 2009 LT, btw.

open a blank drawing.

go to tools>options>user preference> & under insertion scale, set source content unit to meter & target drawing unit to feet Alos make 'insunits' value '2'(feet) and

than bring in this exisitng drawing there using insert comand.

than for the dimension purpose go ot dimension style> selct style & clock 'modify' & than in primery units change the unit format to architectural

UNITS doesn't change anything other than in reporting. If you set units to mm your 30 long line will be reported as 30mm, if you change the units to fathoms the line will be reported as 30 fathoms long.

You need to scale your drawing if you want your 30mm line to become 1.18" (as Tankman just said)