how do you change the drawing plane?

alright, I've been using autocad since 2002, and I've always done this the same way. Go to a standard projection(IE:top, bottom, etc) and then that was your new drawing plane. Now with 2009, it doesn't do that anymore. How do you set the drawing plane in 09?

As CADguy said, can you please explain a little more.

If you are talking about changing the view, from a top plan view to a bottom view or and elevational view then you are still able to do this.

Look in the VIEW menu, and then 3D views, and select either of the standard views (Top, Bottom, Front, Back, Left or Right) or select 1 of the isometric views (SW isometric, SE isometric, NW isometric or NE isometric)

sorry for being so unclear. What I mean is how in 2009, I draw in the top view (the XY plane) and then when I switch to say the left view its still drawing in the top view, instead of the left view(IE YZ or something like that).

You shouldn't need to do that.

If I am understanding correctly (see my previous post), which I am still not sure that I am, then it works fine in 09, the same as it always has...

Will that work for any viewpoint? I don't use 3D at all, but I know that a change in VPOINT generally needs a PLAN command if UCSFOLLOW is 0, at least that's how I thought it had always been?

I have just tried in '06 Mechanical to change view as you mentioned LCE with UCSFOLLOW set to 0 and my UCS remained at World. You should check your UCSFOLLOW isn't set to 1 already?

Try; View-3dviews and select desired plane

Or type UCS and select from options - such as Ob for Object

Or something from 2001? that still works is type

UCS and enter just "E" then select object or entity etc.

Hmm I can't get the UCS to follow my view with it set at 1 or 0 or even using plan, and I tried with Vanilla as well, maybe I'll step out of this one... :?

well, the thing is, is I'm using the viewcube to navigate. and I can't draw on anything but the XY plane. I'll try that UCSFOLLOW thing. see if it works.

I havent tried doing the traditional view>3d views>front left back etc in 2009 yet. I would doubt that it still works. I'm just talking about navigation with the viewcube.

If youre working in 3D, and I assume making a model, and you want to draw on the XY plane why dont you try setting up and saving your ucs's in 90 degree intervals relative to your model (front face, right side, top, etc) or using ucs 3 point? If you are creating features on a model your still going to have to draw your base objects on the xy plane anyways, its really not all that different from doing a 2D drawing.

This way you can keep your Viewpoint stationary and rotate your ucs around the model as needed in order to draw what ever features you need on their respective faces/planes. You can also save your Viewpoint and then restore it if you need to do a 3DO or some other view viewing oreintation.

Hope that helps.

okay, I tried both UCSFOLLOW to 0 and 1, and when I set it to one It immediately jumps to XY(top). same with "plan". If the viewcube doesn't set the "drawing plane" to the way I'm looking at then what is its point of it?

• 2 years later...

after you have navigated with the view cube you can set the plain by entering the following commands: UCS VIEW

that will make your current view the surface on which you are drawing and to set the depth or z, enter this command: UCS MOVE

then select the a point.

• 4 years later...

The F5 function key is used to toggle between isoplanes (left, top and right) when doing a 2D isometric drawing. It is of no use in a 3D drawing.