salaxi

Hello, well i need your help for a college project.. i have a map from an abandoned camp in the suburbs of the city and i have to make a 'digitization' (maybe through Raster Image??!!) into AutoCAD (im working on Autocad 08) ... Can someone help me and write some kind "directions" on how to do this?!

Thanks in advance!

To digitize (i.e. - electronically trace) a drawing or a map in this case would require a digitizing tablet and puck. I think you may have used the wrong terminology. I think what you really want to do is take a raster image and convert it to a vector format that can then be edited using AutoCAD.

I think that you may have a paper map. If so, then you need to convert it into a CAD drawing.

There are several ways of doing this, but you have to remember that the paper may have shrunk or expanded during time, and not necessarily evenly in the x and y directions.

To get an accurate drawing you need to know reference dimensions. Is there a grid marked on the drawing? or any dimensions? If the outlines of this camp still exist, can you measure between any features?

What size is the map? Do you have a digitizer that you could use?

Can you get the map scanned? if so a Tiff file output is very useful to insert into AutoCAD, but then you would have to trace over the image.

Well, i actually made it!!!! :D I put the map (jpeg) in Autocad and then i made different layers and draw lines above the buildings, the enclosure and the appartment blocks... and thats all :) Thank u all for your useful comments. Im sorry for my "bad" english...

Greetings from Greece.

:thumbsup: