How To Dimension An Elipse

gsksun4

I'm trying to dimension the diameter of the elipse in the attached dwg.

I do dimension, diameter and it asks to select the arc or circle. I select the elipse and it tells me it's not an circle or an arc. I know this, but see no other option under dimension for elipse.

ISO.dwg

Snap to quadrant your dimension line.

I think you can dimension only long and short axis and lengthen of ellipse.

Snap to quadrant your dimension line.

I think you can dimension only long and short axis and lengthen of ellipse.

I have my osnap/quadrant set to on, but it doesn't snap to the quadrant of the elipse. You lost me on the long and short axis thing.

BTW, I'm using 2009LT.

Set your osnap settings to quadrant then dimension as shown.

[ATTACH]20420[/ATTACH]

Could you look at the elipse in the drawing I attached. I got the snap/quadrant to work, but the elipse is in isometric. It snaps to a quadrant, but not right for a dimension as you have shown above.

Also, what type of dimension should I use? Aligned?

Ok I did not open your dwg.

Draw temp lines from midpoint of outside face edges across ellipse (like ellipse center line) and dimension between intersection of ellipse and lines.

Ok I did not open your dwg.

Draw temp lines from midpoint of outside face edges across ellipse (like ellipse center line) and dimension between intersection of ellipse and lines.

Sorry, but I'm confused with this. Not sure what you mean by midpoint of outside face.

I will have to continue this tomorrow, as I must leave work now.

I appreciate your input.

It appears to me that your attempting to dimension a circle in an isometric drawing. If you dimension it from that view the measurement will be incorrect. You need to project it to a front or top view in order to get it correct.

Edit:

On second glance my comment about the dimensions apply to your others as well. Those dimensions are going to be incorrect because of them being longer or shorter than what they actually would be in the front, top or right side views.

It appears to me that your attempting to dimension a circle in an isometric drawing. If you dimension it from that view the measurement will be incorrect. You need to project it to a front or top view in order to get it correct.

Edit:

On second glance my comment about the dimensions apply to your others as well. Those dimension are going to be incorrect because of them being longer or shorter than what they actually would be in the front, top or right side views.

Just answering question of dimension of ellipse. Of course it is isometric view of circle.

I think the commonly accepted way to do this would be an auxiliary view, where your view is perpendicular to the face with the circle, so you're seeing the feature in question in as a circle, and not an ellipse.

If that's not an option, you might want to fake it. An ellipse doesn't really want to be dimensioned that way because it doesn't have a standard radius or diameter. You might want to get creative with a LEADER/MLEADER to make it look like your diameter dimensions, and manually type in the desired dimension.

It is an Isometric drawing, simply use the leader command, dimension commands will not know what to do with an ellipse.

Hi,

i opened your drawing and I noticed you used ISOcircle in Ellispe command.

ISOcircle it is not circle for autocad and that is why you dimdiameter do not work. The only way to get a diameter, you have to use Aligned dimension and turn off Extension line 1 and 2 in my opinion or like CJJ said use MLEADER.

I have some comments about your dimensions see attached image and dwg

Bye

Pascal

isodim.jpg

ISOmodifHPA.dwg

It is an Isometric drawing, simply use the leader command, dimension commands will not know what to do with an ellipse.

Great answers here toward the end. I thank you all. I have plenty of experience dimentioning with leaders. I did that for years because I was stubborn.

So, standard drafting practice say's not to dimension isometric views, correct? Darn, and here I thought I almost stumped AutoDesk.:wink:

Thanks again folks.

Glenn

Hi,

i opened your drawing and I noticed you used ISOcircle in Ellispe command.

ISOcircle it is not circle for autocad and that is why you dimdiameter do not work. The only way to get a diameter, you have to use Aligned dimension and turn off Extension line 1 and 2 in my opinion or like CJJ said use MLEADER.

I have some comments about your dimensions see attached image and dwg

Bye

Pascal

Pascal, thanks so much for going the extra mile here. I'm new to dimensioning so I'm experimenting with this drawing. I'll take note of your instructions.

I do have one question for you. When you wrote you changed the text style oblique angle, do you mean in the dimstyle mgr under text, or the style mgr? I don't see a way to do it in the dimstyle mgr.

Thanks again,

Glenn

Great answers here toward the end. I thank you all. I have plenty of experience dimentioning with leaders. I did that for years because I was stubborn.

So, standard drafting practice say's not to dimension isometric views, correct? Darn, and here I thought I almost stumped AutoDesk.:wink:

Thanks again folks.

Glenn

You can dimension isometric drawings (or projections) all you want. But items like circles will be dimensioned using leaders as autocad's dim functions simpy will not work for iso circles.

See attached for info on iso dims and text along with dim arrows in iso.

ISO-DIMensions 2007.dwg

You can dimension isometric drawings (or projections) all you want. But items like circles will be dimensioned using leaders as autocad's dim functions simpy will not work for iso circles.

See attached for info on iso dims and text along with dim arrows in iso.

Thanks for this excellent tool/drawing. It's already printed out and in my notes. This'll come in real handy.

Thanks again rkent.

You are welcome. Keep the drawing file handy and if you have to draw in isometric drag and drop that file into your drawing and you will have all the styles ready to go.

Hopefully you will quickly move to 3D and find you don't need to draw in isometric. I still knock out a quick iso from time to time, mostly because I like isometrics (old school and all that).

Hi Glenn,

When I wrote you changed the text style oblique angle it means to change your text angle in your text style see attached image.

You have to create two text style with oblique angle 30 an -30 because his choice depending on orientation of your dimension.

See my drawing and check red dimensions properties

Bye

Pascal

isodim textstyle.jpg

Hi Glenn,

When I wrote you changed the text style oblique angle it means to change your text angle in your text style see attached image.

You have to create two text style with oblique angle 30 an -30 because his choice depending on orientation of your dimension.

See my drawing and check red dimensions properties

Bye

Pascal

Thanks for the follow-up Pascal. Got it.

Glenn