Working with mm - Problems with scale in paper space (layouts)

jhwang39

Hi everyone!

I'm working on a project where all of my dimensions are in mm. I drew everything in model space in full scale. I, then, went over to layouts and tried to determine what scale to use to dimension everything. My biggest dimension is 167 mm. I expected to be able to use 1:1 or 1:2, but those scales are too zoomed in. The scale that seems to work is 1:25. Why is that, and is there a way I can fix it?

Thanks

You have set the paper size in Page Setup? You should chouse there the paper that you intend to print on (presume A3 or A4 since you draw in mm).

Regards,

Mircea

Depends on the size of the paper in paper space. Did you use a border with metric or imperial dimensions? Same for the viewport?

I checked paper size in page setup. It's set to 8 1/2 by 11 inches, which is right.

How can I check paperspace units and dimensions of the border and viewport?

Thank you!

So, the size of your page is now 8.5 x 11 units - for this reason you cannot use 1:1 scale. You will need to choose a metric size: A4 (297 x 210 units) or A3 (420 x 297 units). Then your 1:1 drawing of 167 units will fit well.

Regards,

Mircea

What DWT (template file) did you start with? Was it acad.dwt, acadiso.dwt or a different one? You may have mixed apples (imperial) with oranges (metric).

OK, so according to the OP, 1:25 scale fits well. Model units are mm. I bet paper units are inches. By the way 167 mm (6.57 inches), the OP's longest (apparently overall) dimension fits pretty much anywhere on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper at full size.

jhwang39, on your layout dialog you will see the Plot Scale area, of course.

Make sure there is a 1 in the input field next to the dropdown button. That is your paperspace unit. Click the arrow and change it to mm instead of inches. Below that, make sure there is a 1 in that unit input field as well. That is your modelspace unit. Now the combination will say that 1 mm = 1 unit. ( one model unit = 1 paper unit ). Before changing this, with your paper units set to inches, 1 mm = 1" is what you were trying to use for a scale. That's why 1:25 worked a lot better. 1" = pretty much 25.4mm.

Now select 1:1 as your plot scale. It might have changed itself to "Custom" while you were fixing your units ratio.

You will see your paper size change to 216 x 279 up there in the preview tile too. At least mine does.

For What to Plot, select Layout. Good to go? Let us know.

I checked paper size in page setup. It's set to 8 1/2 by 11 inches, which is right.

How can I check paperspace units and dimensions of the border and viewport?

Thank you!

Click the layout tab, right click anywhere in paperspace or select page setup manager off a menu if one pops up. I think you have to right click the layout tab again to get the paperspace menu to come up instead of going right to the page setup manager. Anyhow, once you are there, see my prior post.

In your layout the first thing you should have done is draw a title block even if its just an outline this title block should be at true size in your case 8 1/2x11 would be

215.9-12 x 267.4-12 203x267 the slight decrease is that your printer can not plot to the edeg so I have allowed 6mm most laser printers use about 5mm for the edge. once you have this box create a MVIEW window then zoom E if you have the Viewports toolbar open you will see a number appear this is the fit scale this is a ratio of 1m = 1000mm v's what fits enter a new number, say 22.3 then it would become 25 exactly this is a true scale 1000/25 otherwise use the predefined scales.

You then plot the layout at 1:1 and it should work perfect

Thank you guys for all your help.

It seems like ReMark is right on target with the DWT file. My school provides us with templates and titleblocks to use, and I didn't realize the one I've used for the past month is specifically for English units, and that another template exists for metric units. I've copied and pasted everything over and rescaled to make things the right size.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

One would think that a school like yours would make sure their students know that there are two different types of templates and to make sure the correct one is used. It is often the little things that trip us up.

Glad to hear you got it squared away.

First check your units if it is in millimeters. Go to the layout tab, draw a rectangle with the size 215.9mm x 279.4mm then offset 12mm inside the rectangle or check the printable area of your printer to determine the size of your border block. Type MVIEW then window the inner rectangle this will be your viewport. Double click inside the viewport, type zoom then enter then type e(for extents) then enter (your drawing will be on the center of the viewport).

FOR THE SCALE:

1:25 - type zoom then enter then type s(for scale), type .04xp then enter.

Double-click on the outside of the inner rectangle to be back in the paper space.

FOR PAGE SETUP:

Right-click on the layout tab, pagesetup, select printer select the paper size. As for the above rectangle dimensions you need to choose 8.5x11" portrait paper size. Go to plot area and select window. Window the 215.9x279.4mm rectangle, this will be your paper size.

Check the "center the plot", uncheck the "fit to paper", Go to scale and choose " 1:1" and under the scale bar change to 1mm=1 unit.

For the drawing orientation and plot style, just change it according to your desire settings.

NOTE:

For the above scale, it should be applied in a millimeter drawing settings only.

Hope this one helps...goodluck :)