3D Realistic/Conceptual View Issues with Hidden Edges

criegman

Hi Guys - This is my first post here so bear with me while I learn the etiquette :)

I am having issues with 3D Realistic/Conceptual Views in model space. Basically I will be working on a drawing and everything works fine when I switch to 3D realistic & conceptual modes and orbit - view looks perfect. Then a few days or maybe 10 minute later I do it again and the hidden edges suddenly are visible through 3D solids & the view looks awful. I have attached a screenshot of this issue and from reading a number of forums it appears that I am not alone in experiencing this, however I have not found a resolution. I am concerned that it could be my Graphics card but given that it is an nVidia Quadro FX3800 that is supposedly designed for ACAD I would be pretty upset!

Screenshot of my issue is below or can be found at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26631441/Edges%20Problems.png

On the left is the problem in realistic view - on the right I have copied this into another file and on some drawings this fixes the issue - on some others I have to delete some background floorplans. It might be linked to the size of the drawings - I work on airport terminals so my drawings have floorplans of hundreds of meters...

Edges%20Problems.png

I have an Intel core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz, 64-Bit Windows 7, 16GB RAM and an nVidia Quadro FX3800.

Thanks for your help!

Chris.

Have you ever tried issuing a REGEN?

Maybe it is a setting in 3DCONFIG. Can you post a screen shot of how you have this set up?

Welcome to Cadtutor.

What is the drawing filesize? Does it only happen during orbit, or does the drawing stay that way after orbiting?

Hi Gents - thanks for your responses.

ReMark - I have attached a screenshot of my 3D config setup. I have disabled Adaptive Degradation in my settings as one forum discussed a similar issue to what I am having and suggested disabling this (and it made sense) so I have left this off. Made no difference however.

3D%20Config%20Setup.JPG

Nestly - The file size are around 7-8MB - large but not huge. This occurs as soon as I switch to 3D conceptual or realistic view - 3D orbit just gives a much better (worse) view of the issue.

It is a bizzarre issue as once this happens, the only way to fix the problem is to copy the drawing elements into a new file - then it works ok for a while again until an hour or a few days later when boom. Very frustrating :(

Note I have also used regen/redraw to no avail. I have gone through and changed settings from 3D conceptual/Realistic visual styles as discussed in other forums and this has also not helped. I also know some colleagues that have hit the same wall and none of them have found a solution.

Note that it appears to file related - as these colleagues use the same files as me - xrefs of floorplans & gridlines so I am not sure if there is something about these files that triggers the issue?

. . . .It might be linked to the size of the drawings - I work on airport terminals so my drawings have floorplans of hundreds of meters...

Are your working units meters or millimeters? If millimeters then there is a good chance that your statement above is correct.

Hi Seant. Drawing units are set to mm (From Units Command) . Are you suggesting that there is a limitation in ACAD that is causing this issue? I have never done it before but I would think that changing this would be a big job?

The limitation is actually with the binary math associated with computer computations.

See this thread (though not dealing specifically with graphics problems), it touches on the subject:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?31061-Shell-Command&

This thread deals more directly with graphics and , I believe, is related to the same general limitation with binary math:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?26725

Hi Seant - Yes I have to admit that this sounds a lot like what I am dealing with. My problem is now that I am not sure how to fix it. I have a file with multiple xrefs so presumably I would have to change the scale to metres in all the files? Does changing the insertion scale in the units command do this? It certainly doesn't look like it...

This is just speculation as I haven’t had to reformat a complex, Xref rich project yet.

Conceivably, all the XRefs have their Insertion Units set to millimeters. Start a new drawing, but set its Insertion Units to Meters. Insert the XRefs – due to the dissimilar Insertion Units, the Xref should scale automatically.

Copy and Paste all of your geometry from the existing drawing into this new drawing. Scale that geometry down by 1000. Reorient the geometry based on the xrefs.

See if that helps the display issue.

Even if it doesn’t -

I think a general rule of thumb is that the extents of any drawing should fall within a 10000 x 10000 x 10000 unit block of Model Space. And, ideally, the block would be centered near the WCS origin. Choosing units - and the appropriate XRefing scheme - that allow that will avoid numerous issues.

Thanks SeanT. I will have a crack at this in the next few weeks when I have some time to play around.

In the mean time - additional info is that the error appears to happen when I zoom in very close to an object in my drawing. I had a clean 3D conceptual drawing and have been working on it for a few hours with no problems. Then I zoomed in very close to an object to select it and boom - problem occurred. Zooming out & undo have no effect - problem persists with the file.....

Hi SLW210 - I have an Intel core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz, 64-Bit Windows 7, 16GB RAM and an nVidia Quadro FX3800.