Can AutoCAD 2010 be install on Vista Home ed?

muck

Can AutoCAD 2010 be install on Vista Home ed?

When I try to install AutoCAD 2010 on Vista Home I get internal errors

and the install stop. Is there a solution to this?

Thank you,

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• muck

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

I was running AutoCAD 2010 for a year on Vista Home.

Now I an running AutoCAD 2011 on Vista Home. (no problems)

What version of Vista Home do you have?

What version of AutoCAD 2010 are you trying to install?

Did you stop all anti-virus services (including TSR) and turn off UAC before attempting install?

Also double check which vista you're running, if you're running 64 bit, acad for 32 bit will have problems installing and vice versa.

Second install attempt I got the big blue screen and I could not catch the

error number. The third attempt, AutoCAD just did not install. I just got

a bunch of pictures.

I guess I need to know what if Vista Home is 64 or 32 versions.

How do you turn off the anti-virus services (including TSR) and turn off UAC??

Thank you,

Control Panel > System & Security > System. It should tell you if you are running Vista 32-bit or 64-bit.

I was under the impression that most AutoDesk DVDs have both versions on them and the pre-installation check determines which version is loaded automatically.

Does you system meet even the minimum specifications as called for by AutoDesk to run AutoCAD 2010? Some people who have problems find they do not have enough RAM or their graphics card is inadequate.

Both versions of AutoCAD & Vista are 32bit versions.

Vista has only SP 1 installed.

It got 2g in it. I think that is ok.

Thank you,

I was under the impression that most AutoDesk DVDs have both versions on them and the pre-installation check determines which version is loaded automatically.

The reason I asked is because I suspected it might be the free student download. To reduce the download time they select to download either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version. Of course anyone installing from DVD the OS figures out what version to install. But more and more software is downloaded - never have a disk.

This question comes up about 30 times a day on the student community http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity - apparently in the computer science 101 classes they do not cover operating systems. Even after I question someone I have to have them post a screen capture to prove that they are actually running Windows 7 32-bit version. Once I tell them how to find their system properties they never post back to thank me. LOL

BTY you can go to Start> and right click on Computer for Properties in Vista. I think I saw a keyboard shortcut (Windows key + something) but I didn't commit it to memory. :x

Are you installing from a disk or a download?

Is this the trial version, educational version or full commercial version?

If you're installing from a download, it's possible that some files may have been corrupted during the data transfer and you may need to re-download.

Does your computer meet the minimum system requirements: http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2009/02/autocad-2010-system-requirements.html

There should be no reason why 2010 won't install and work on Vista. Are you sure you have the correct version of AutoCAD (32-bit or 64-bit)?

Did you do a good job uninstalling the pervious version of AutoCAD? AutoDesk does have a recommended procedure.

Is your version of Vista up-to-date with all service packs?

Where in the installation does the process break down?

The version that I have works good with XP but will not install

with Vista.

This still does not answer the questions posed earlier.

Q1 What version of AutoCAD (be complete in your information).

Q2 What version of XP (be complete in your information).

Q3 What version of Vista (be complete in your information).

In Vista OS (whatever version you have) did you turn off UAC before attempting install?

Did you stop all anti-virus services including Terminate and Stay Resident (TSR) anti-virus services before attempting install?

I suspect at this point you will need to find the Autodesk AutoCAD Clean Uninstall document (I can Google it for you) and follow all instructions including the Registry edits (not for beginners) and then run Windows Install Clean Up utility (I can Google it for you if you can't find it) to remove all remaining traces of your previous attempt to install.

Then follow above UAC and anti-virus suggestions before attempting reinstall (you might also provide the information on OS and CAD versions to make sure they match up).

Let me take a few guesses -

XP is relatively rare in 64-bit so you probably had installed on 32-bit XP

Vista is somewhat rare in 32-bit so you probably have 64-bit Vista.

XP didn't have UAC, Vista (and Windows 7) do and you didn't turn it off before install.

Are my guesses correct?

Disabling anti-virus programs.

Most of these programs can be turned off anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours (or permanently disabled - not recommended) via their icon in the lower right-hand corner of your system tray on your Desktop.

It's like pulling teeth with this one. :roll:

Muck, please help us to help you. Go back through this thread and post the answers to all of the questions that we have asked. Maybe then we will be able to get to the bottom of this problem. But until you provide answers to the questions we have asked, we can only guess at what the problem could be.

I have put it on XP without any problems.

I will not be able to answer previous questions

about it until I get back to it this weekend.

I will let you know then.