Welcome to the upgraded CADTutor forums!

CADTutor

A New Forum?

Forum regulars will notice a few changes round here. For the last 3 and a half years this forum has been using vBulletin 3.6 software but we've just upgraded to vBulletin 4.0.5, the most current version. There are lots of new and improved features; too many to go into in a short post like this but I hope you like the changes - let me know.

Problems?

I put a lot of work in, checking that everything is working as it's supposed to but with something this complex, it's impossible to cover all permutations so if you discover something that doesn't look right or plain doesn't work, please let me know by posting in this thread and I'll investigate.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADTutor

• alanjt

• rkmcswain

• Lee Mac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations for the nice new looking of the Forum.

I am really happy to be the first one to write about the new changes that made to the Forum, and I hope that my

opinion would be heared.

First, most of the changes are really nice and charming, besides that, the pick of these lovely colours .

But the title of threads which being created by users are not that suitable, because the title and name

of thread's writers are similar and it is hard to read.

Second I think the weld space at the right side hand is really big and free, so you can gain the mentioned space by increacing

the left side and enlarging the name of user and thread titles as well.

Great thanks to CADTutor Administrators.

Tharwat

Great looking forum David - well done, and thanks for all the hard work :)

A quick question - where is the equivalent of the 'User CP' button so that one can view new replies to subscribed threads?

A quick question - where is the equivalent of the 'User CP' button so that one can view new replies to subscribed threads?

You can either click the "Settings" link at top right or Quick Links>Subscribed Threads or you might like to try Quick Links>My Threads/My Posts. Spoilt for choice...

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP is that the forum is designed using some fancy new CSS3 effects (rounded corners and drop-shadows), so in order to view it at its best, you'll need to use FireFox, Safari or Chrome. It looks best in FireFox. Unfortunately, you won't see any of this stuff in Internet Explorer (well, not until IE9 is released anyway).

David

During this week-end, as you as I we had a lot of work. You updated the forum software and I repainted the windows frames in my house. About booth of works, for the moment I can say only: it looks good.

I can see through my windows. Now I will press the SUBMIT button, I hope I will see my message posted too! :)

Looking good so far David.

I'll need to upgrade back to chrome on my home pc to get the full effects.

Aw, sweet video uploading.

Aw, sweet video uploading.

Yes, you can now embed YouTube videos right in the post. Great for adding those little video tutorials.

I do not like the way Quick Navigation works. Theres nothing quick about it it at all. Seems when you click on it, You need to scroll thru the list to get out of the thread you are in to get back to the Customization Forum or any forum. The old way was much quicker.

I do not like the way Quick Navigation works. Theres nothing quick about it it at all. Seems when you click on it, You need to scroll thru the list to get out of the thread you are in to get back to the Customization Forum or any forum. The old way was much quicker.

How does it differ from the old quick navigation? That too was a scrolling drop-down list. Granted the new one has some additional options but it's not significantly different is it? Or am I missing something?

It shows the current forum you are in, But there is no button along side the list you could just click to take you back to the default like the old way. So you need to scoll thru the list which is long and not easy to read to get back to the default forum you were in.

OK, I see what you mean. Hmm, that's not something I can change. I suppose the best alternative is to click on the "Top" button next to Quick Navigation and then use the breadcrumb link to go back to the forum or simply use the Back button on your browser (assuming that's where you were previously).

I would think that if you use the back button, The thread you were just in will not be marked as read.

What is the breadcrumb link?

I would think that if you use the back button, The thread you were just in will not be marked as read.

What is the breadcrumb link?

The breadcrumb is a hierarchical list of links from forum home to your current location. So if you're looking at a thread, it always contains a link back to the parent forum:

forum.png

Great job David.

Are there different 'themes' available?

Not sure if a theme would fix this, but the one feature that I already miss is the separate column on this page that shows the number of replies, now that it is lumped in with the views....

Beyond that, looks great so far. Thanks again!

Are there different 'themes' available?

Not at the moment but I may include some in the future - obviously, we'll need a "festive" theme for the Christmas period!

Not sure if a theme would fix this, but the one feature that I already miss is the separate column on this page that shows the number of replies, now that it is lumped in with the views....

That's a structural part of the new forum that won't be changed - I'm afraid that comes under the heading of "Get used to it". :o