Window corner with slide part, concrete detail!

AutoSaint

Hello all, i am a student and new to this forum and I haven't stop reading it since. So I will stick around!

Anyway I found you guys by looking for a corner window plan, where the it also has a slide part but not at the corner. I am using thick concrete as my main material and I want to have glass corners since this is part of the building is a truck entrance so visibility is required. So, if anyone has one, please share it with me?

Also, I would also like to ask if you have concrete detail (section) where the material is shown in both sides as it is (no plaster if possible) so you can see the material raw as it is but also the insulation etc. Location of my project is at south spain, which is a very warm, desert-ish environment.

Either than that, forum looks great and I have already acquired some knowledge, since my CAD skills are basic!

Welcome to the CADTutor forum.

Is the base construction of your building poured concrete or is it concrete block?

The glass corner you refer to, is it at a 45 deg angle?

The CADTutor website does not have a library of details. Members who may have such details can choose to share them with others however by posting them either as an image or a DWG file.

I assume you are drawing using metric units is that correct?

Thank you! It is poured concrete 300mm thick. The whole building is structure of its own, hence the thick walls and my struggle to understand how i can make it strong, insulated and keep the concrete immateriality on both sides (in and out).

Of course if block can work, it is also good.

The window is a 45 degree corner!

Also, thank you for the link, I have checked it but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking, but I will give it an other look out!

Thank ytou for your quick reply!

Your wall is almost a foot thick. There are concrete blocks that have an insulated interior. Are you familiar with them?

So you have a 45 degree corner with a window opening in it. I suspect you'll be putting some kind of double-pane window in it that is constructed of an extruded aluminum frame right?

No, I am not. I will browse on the net, however bare in mind that this building rises at 15 meters, so I don't know if they can support all this floors as my intention is that the walls are also the supporting structure as I am not familiar with this technique.

About the window, there will be aluminium frame, but I was hoping to not have any frames on the corner.

something like this: http://i55.tinypic.com/ofy9tz.jpg

Concrete block walls have been used for decades and 15 meters really doesn't seem that high. If constructed correctly that height should be no problem. You'll need some rebar (vertically), welded-wire mesh every few courses and the voids will have to be backfilled with mortar.

Well your image does have a frame around the perimeter. What it doesn't have is a framing member at the 90 deg corner. That's an expensive window.

yes but I am a student so it doesn't really matter at this point, but thank you for the input, I will definetly use this on the future. However it is important for me to keep it like this, as I want total visibility.

I am very interested on the blocs as they would add to my facades. And can the material is visible from interior and exterior? Also, would u happen to have this detail, as I am not quite familiar with the terminology? Even a photo would be good!

Look for a product called Insulated Concrete Block. It will look like concrete block from the outside as well as the inside. If this is to be a commercial building then the look will be fine. If you want to upgrade the look a little then you could always do a sand-finish stucco treatment on one or both sides.

No, I am not. I will browse on the net, however bare in mind that this building rises at 15 meters, so I don't know if they can support all this floors as my intention is that the walls are also the supporting structure as I am not familiar with this technique.

About the window, there will be aluminium frame, but I was hoping to not have any frames on the corner.

something like this: http://i55.tinypic.com/ofy9tz.jpg

Nice lookin' window, I wouldn't want a corner blocking the view either.

Thinkin', "Solid concrete? Why not a 90° "I" beam header?"

The header could bolt corner to corner or, welded at a 90° angle.

The steel header would be sized to support any weight from above.

The steel header would be encapsulated in concrete.

Most commercial curtain wall companies will try to talk you out of not having a framing member in the corner like that. For one reason, it is extremely difficult to make such a corner weather tight. Depending on the size of the window, framing will be necessary structurally. Glass is not a structural component, and the movements of the building due to wind, seismic activity, and weather (solar heating) must be accounted for. In the detail below, you see a single framing member shown. That minimizes the intrusion into the view, yet provides the structural stability required. I suggest you visit some of the websites for companies like Kawneer and VistaWall for ideas. They have many examples and construction details available for download.

It is possible to do your corner, but the window will be limited in size. It will be up to the structural engineer to figure out just how big your opening can be.

corner detail.jpg

Your wall is almost a foot thick

I thought he meant the conc. slab was 300 think (which is fairly common)?

Concrete block walls have been used for decades and 15 meters really doesn't seem that high.

It is still fairly high. Wind actions would start to become a factor given I imagine the structure would be a lot longer than it is wide. You'd really need a structural steel frame in my opinion, in which it would not be a problem to offset suitably sized columns from the building corner (to allow for the corner window opening).