Shop Drawings in REVIT???

idllc

I use AMEP, have for about 5 years. I own a "Crossgrade" licensce, thus I have REVIT MEP, but only use it for exporting from REVIT to AMEP. I also use a few third party modules in AMEP for Sheet Metal and Piping. These third party items really allow me to get down to the "nuts & bolts" for shops. Most folks who do shop drawings for the contracting world will know what I mean.

The big question I have is this:

We are starting to see more Engineer's Specs call for the shops to be "completed" in a REVIT format. Has anyone else encountered this? Not that I cant draw in REVIT, it is just not up to par with the abbilities for the "nuts & bolts" aspect of things. Also, none of my third party stuff has REVIT capablities....

I feel that the consulatants in my area are doing this efforts to "Sale" their REVIT files to the contractor or myself. I had a job a while back the engineer wanted 25,000$ for the REVIT files!!! All I wanted was a 3D export to load in NAVIS. Needless to say we passed on purchasing the REVIT files and finished the job just fine with AMEP.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I have thoght of just completing the shop as normal with AMEP and then simply "Importing" the CAD file into REVIT. In the end it would be in a .rvt format. ?

AMEP is far superior than RMEP for true shop drawings from a BIM standpoint. I have encountered this as well and although Revit is for engineering, that is your ticket out. You are creating shop drawing as builts as a mechanical subcontractor, NOT an engineering firm. Unless, of course, you also do in-house engineering for the job.

Best thing to do is ask if they're truly wanting an RVT file, or are they just using the term Revit loosely and really mean 3D BIM file. If they truly want an RVT file, simply do an IFC Export from AMEP, open RMEP, import the IFC file and Save. That way they're getting an RVT file format with intelligent information inside. It's a way around it in my opinion. ;)

Thanks! I was kind of thinking the same thing.... I too think AMEP is FAR better than RMEP, for doing shops, but getting others feedback is always great.

Thanks!!

I had a job a while back the engineer wanted 25,000$ for the REVIT files!!! Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

The client owns the files as they paid for them to be done. Have had this happen before and you just get on the phone to the client and tell them that unless they want to pay X more then they should make sure that the other company also working on the project shares digital data the client paid for.

AMEP is far superior than RMEP for true shop drawings from a BIM standpoint. I have encountered this as well and although Revit is for engineering, that is your ticket out. You are creating shop drawing as builts as a mechanical subcontractor, NOT an engineering firm. Unless, of course, you also do in-house engineering for the job.

As much as I love my Revit, I 100% agree. We design/engineer in RMEP but AMEP is still the preferred choice for shop drawings for our fab shop.