Serious problems with viewports and orientation

Sheepdisease

Hello there, I have created some boxes in AutoCAD and when I change the view control to SW Isometric (and probably others too) it zooms out really far and I can't see what I have created unless I click on the face I want again so that it zooms in and centres.

How do I fix this?

PJPrApv.png

3RRcVW9.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheepdisease

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• SEANT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Switching a view like that often involves a built-in "Zoom-Extents."

You're probably got an object of some description that's miles away from the rest of your model. These are very often on layers that are "Off." Try turning all your layers on, doing a Zoom-Extents and trying to select anything that might be in the corners of your screen.

dJE

When you change views, autocad automatically zooms to extents, to show every object in model space, if you have objects widely spaced about then this is the result, either make sure all your objects are closer to the origin (0,0), or maybe start working with named views which will also set the zoom level each time you go to that view. You might have some objects lost in space that need deleting, that are causing the problem, I often find drawings from other people have a single dim or line way off in space (sometimes on a layer that is turned off)

Thank you both for your replies. I checked the layers and there weren't any other objects. However, I did move the objects closer to the axis and this seemed to do the trick, how do you get an object to sit on the axis?

Also, how do I line up these two objects so the front faces sit parallel when viewed from the front (so the bottom is level) and neither object is further forward when viewed from the left or right?

Okay, thank you for that. Any idea how I fix the problem I am currently facing trying to create a rectangle? I change the view to front and when I start to draw the rectangle it appears as a line. When I change the view to SW Isometric I can see that it is creating it front to back rather than top to bottom if that makes sense.. I am not sure how to fix this?

VM8XlYQ.png

Hello there, I have created some boxes in AutoCAD and when I change the view control to SW Isometric (and probably others too) it zooms out really far and I can't see what I have created unless I click on the face I want again so that it zooms in and centres.

How do I fix this?

Try setting system variable UCSFOLLOW to 0

Hello there, thank you for the suggestion, when I entered UCSFOLLOW it said it was already set to 0. What else could it be?

Okay, thank you for that. Any idea how I fix the problem I am currently facing trying to create a rectangle? I change the view to front and when I start to draw the rectangle it appears as a line. When I change the view to SW Isometric I can see that it is creating it front to back rather than top to bottom if that makes sense.. I am not sure how to fix this?

VM8XlYQ.png

It's a simple 2d command. Create a UCS so that the 2d rectangle will be how you want it after switching back to the previous coordinate system.

Hello there, thank you for the suggestion, when I entered UCSFOLLOW it said it was already set to 0. What else could it be?

See help: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-C07B8F08-8854-4A84-94A6-98C5B9A2522A-htm.html

1 is the only other setting, but I don't think that will help.

I changed the setting for UCSFOLLOW but it made no difference as you said. I am not sure exactly how to do what you have suggested otherwise.

How do I align the centre of a smaller rectangle with that of the centre of a larger rectangle on the horizontal (x) axis?

VM8XlYQ.png

After starting the RECTANGLE command, pick your first point, then enter @X,Y to define the diagonally opposed corner with relative coordinates. If you enter positive values the X value will move right and the Y value will move to the back, both in positive directions referenced from the ORIGIN (UCS LOGO). If the relative coordinate points have negative values, of course they will go in the opposite directions RELATIVE to the first point you defined..

Thank you for your reply. How about aligning the centre of an existing smaller rectangle with that of the centre of an existing larger rectangle on the horizontal (x) axis?

I'm noticing that your cursor is at funky angles. Are you working in 3D while also working with Isometric snap turned on?

If that is causing you issues use the command DDRMODES and then switch to "Rectangular snap"

DDRMODES.jpg

Funny you should mention that, I changed that setting this morning, thanks for the heads up.

Still wondering about my previous question though.

How do I align the centre of an existing smaller rectangle with that of the centre of an existing larger rectangle on the horizontal (x) axis?

Take a look at "command modifiers" in this case it would be MTP or M2P (middle of two points), pick the smaller rectangle and start the move command then before picking a start point, type "mtp" and press enter, this prompts you to pick 2 points (opposite mid points on the rectangle sides) and autocad uses a point centered on those points as your start point, then when it asks for the second point again type "mtp" and pick 2 opposite mid points on the larger rectangle. It might take a bit of practice, but is a great way to get around a drawing. You should also have a look for "point filters"

Thank you so much for your help. This sounds very useful and is probably pretty simple but I have tried a few times and can't achieved the desired effect, is there a tutorial video of this?

I am slowly getting there. Can someone please tell me how I would go about changing the dimensions of the left and top faces of this shape with the slanted face automatically adjusting according to the other two faces? This is a 3d shape with a thickness of 10mm.

ed7afTL.png