Copyig from one drawing to another drawing?

How do you copy a non-block item from one drawing to another drawing. With both drawings open, the two methods I've used are the Edit>Copy in drawing 1 and Edit>Paste in drawing or Right mouse button (drop down menu)> Copy in drawing 1 and Right mouse button> Paste in drawing 2. Sometimes one or both methods work and at other times neither works.

Is there another copy method or am I doing something incorrectly?

Use copy with base point, either from the Edit menu or if using Ribbon use Home>Clipboard>copy with base point. Then use one of the paste options like paste to original coordinates. In addition I like to use the Clipboard so I have multiple copy clips, I can give them a name and I can see a visual of what they look like before placing them.

For 2010 you will have to download the clipboard from the autodesk labs.

http://labs.blogs.com/.services/blog/6a00d8341caed853ef00d834520f0d69

e2/search?filter.q=copyclip

Hi and welcome to the forums!

The issue of copy-clip not working sometimes in AutoCAD had been debated over and over both here and at other sites, and I don't think that it has been resolved once and for all. Sometimes a full clipboard is the culprit, but not all the times. I get failed copy-clips more often when I have large drawings going, but it happens at other times too.

I recommend that you search around and try out different solutions and I hope that you find a solution.

Good Luck.

Another technique is with tiled windows - window or crossing window select the geometry you want to copy.

Then click and hold on one of the lines (not on a grip).

A special clipboard icon will appear.

Continue to hold and you can drag (a copy of) the geometry to the second file.