Importing PDF files into Cad

CadYouDigIt

Recently I have been importing the pdfs we get from clients and attaching them as an image into autocad, and then having to go through the trouble of tracing out each line.

I am curious if there is a way to already have the lines drawn out? This would save me a lot of time!

Thanks!

It sounds like you are looking for a PDF to DWG conversion program or something similar. Is that correct?

One option is to use a free vector program such as Inkscape to import vector PDF's then save them as a DXF. I think something similar can be done using Adobe Illustrator. AutoCAD 2018 has the PDFIMPORT command whereby the user can import PDF data as 2D geometry and it will also import TrueType text and images.

AutoCAD 2018 has the PDFIMPORT command whereby the user can import PDF data as 2D geometry and it will also import TrueType text and images.
I second this information. If your company has access to AutoCAD 2017 full version, you can do this entirely through AutoCAD if the PDF is in vector form. It works very well. Granted, it's not perfect, but certainly does the job for most needs.

-TZ

One point on the AutoCAD PDFIMPORT, the PDF has to be a true vector PDF and not a scanned PDF. But 3rd motion for this great tool now included in AutoCAD.

Most of our pdfs do come in true vector PDFs.. most of the time. So I guess I will have to try this command on our other computers! Thanks a bunch guys!

• 9 months later...

My first post, I hope i dont bump the wrong thread.

As to the above i belive the pdfimport command gives good better results compard to the paid softwares around, atleast when it comes to engineering drawings.

Pdf s with lots of ills tend to be problematic, use incscape for those, or even better adobe illustrator if you have the budget.

A follow up question on pdfimport command: I would like to build the (command "-PDFIMPORT" ...) into a lisp to batch it, for all pages within a pdf document

Does someone have an insight in that? i have tried:

(Command "-PDFIMPORT" strFilename 1 300,0 1.0 0)

but it dosnt accept my filename string

Have not tried yet but no idea how you would determine number of pages with Pdfattach maybe just do import 1-99. Maybe use a on-error to stop loading.

• 5 months later...

Did you ever find a way to get this working? I am trying to write a command to bulk convert vectorized pdfs back to cad files (new file import pdf at default coordinates and scale, save and close) for all files in a folder, but having an issue bringing in the files without the dialog box appearing - FILEDIA already set to 0.

• 2 weeks later...

Need to look at what the command is asking when using -pdfimport this works without dialouge appearing can be used in a script etc.

(Command "-PDFIMPORT" "f" strFilename 1 300,0 1.0 0)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am not sure but you can try the Import PDF command. In this command, If you want to add PDF as an attachment it converts into DWG components or PDF file can be imported directly into the drawing file.