Dynamic block and viewport

DRBJR45

Is it possible to use a DB with viewports? The attached file contains the DB with notes indicating what I would like to do with the DB. Basically I made a stretchable box that would be used on our detail sheets. This box has text that will stay at its location in relation to the DB. I've noticed that I can not use constraints on the DB after its inserted into the drawing. Is this normal? For example, I want to add a viewport to the DB and constrain its size using parametric dims but when I do this the DB is no longer a DB. Hopefully the attached file can better explain what I need. Perhaps I'm asking too much.

THANKS!

VIEWPORT.dwg

VIEWPORT.dwg

(Dimensional) constraints are required to make this work. Unfortunately, you can't apply them to a viewport. You can tie the viewport scale in using fields though and size the viewport properly initially.

I would probably add some defpoint points at the corners of the viewport in case you have to change the size after. Note that I didn't add the attdef items.

Thanks.

iconeo,

Thanks, you confirmed what I feared. I can get the DB to work with all the attributes and stretching, but getting the viewport to work is a no go. In a perfect world I should be able create the DB with a viewport that works when inserted (naturally in PS).

Also, I noticed if I add a dimension to the DB after I insert it into a drawing, the DB is no longer a DB. By adding a dimension all the parameters are "turned off" and I'm stuck with a dumb block.

iconeo,

Also, I noticed if I add a dimension to the DB after I insert it into a drawing, the DB is no longer a DB. By adding a dimension all the parameters are "turned off" and I'm stuck with a dumb block.

I have dynamic blocks that work perfectly with dimensions in it, including stretching, flipping, rotating and visibility parameters.

I agree,,,,,,but as I stated before, adding dimensional constraints AFTER the DB is inserted makes the DB useless. My hope was to add a viewport to a DB and constrain the viewport so as when I stretch the DB the viewport remains centered in the DB.

I believe making this ability a reality would open so many doors to creating more robust dynamic blocks.

Hi,

The attached is what I want the dynamic block to do. I simply created a rectangle with viewport and text that work similar to a dynamic block, but it has problems. Would love some input.

thanks

VIEWPORT-3.dwg