Dimscalelinear is Squaring itself?

ilarson007

I am not sure if this is the correct subforum to post this in, so move it if I am incorrect.

So I have a drawing, and I was experiencing the following problem. My layout scale is set to 1:75. I would place my dimensions in paperspace, and they came out correct. However, next, when I move the dimensions within paperspace, the dimscalelinear value squares itself (in this case, it turns into 5625, or 75 squared).

Does anyone know what is causing this to happen. As best I can tell it does not happen to every dimension, just some.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• ilarson007

• Dana W

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure if this is the correct subforum to post this in, so move it if I am incorrect.

So I have a drawing, and I was experiencing the following problem. My layout scale is set to 1:75. I would place my dimensions in paperspace, and they came out correct. However, next, when I move the dimensions within paperspace, the dimscalelinear value squares itself (in this case, it turns into 5625, or 75 squared).

Does anyone know what is causing this to happen. As best I can tell it does not happen to every dimension, just some.

What is dimscalelinear? I seem to not have one.

When you move paperspace dimensions, they sometimes become disassociated from the modelspace objects and give you the paperspace dimension. The squaring is probably just a math coincidence.

1:75? That is an uncommon scale, not that it has anything to do with this issue.

Edited by Dana W

When you move paperspace dimensions, they sometimes become disassociated from the modelspace objects and give you the paperspace dimension. The squaring is probably just a math coincidence.

1:75? That is an uncommon scale, not that it has anything to do with this issue.

Yeah, that is just the scale that fit my drawing into my layout correctly.

Let me clarify what I meant by moving my dimension. I just mean that I am moving the location of the numbers in the dimension, not the points that the dimension is "reading" from. Also, I snap to the same point for a lot of my dimensions, but I am not convinced all the time that the dimension snaps to the say corner of a rectangle, or if it is snapping to the node of another dimension that has snapped to the same corner.

Yeah, that is just the scale that fit my drawing into my layout correctly.

Using non-standard scales, just because it fits your layout, can lead to trouble.

Also, I snap to the same point for a lot of my dimensions, but I am not convinced all the time that the dimension snaps to the say corner of a rectangle, or if it is snapping to the node of another dimension that has snapped to the same corner.

Use OSNAP overrides to ensure you are snapping to the proper point.

I just mean that I am moving the location of the numbers in the dimension, not the points that the dimension is "reading" from. Also, I snap to the same point for a lot of my dimensions, but I am not convinced all the time that the dimension snaps to the say corner of a rectangle, or if it is snapping to the node of another dimension that has snapped to the same corner.
Yeah, those two things can cause the disassociation. I usually turn nodes off, unless I really, really need one. And I use annotative modelspace dimensions. Paperspace dimensions are rife with quicksand.

Yeah, those two things can cause the disassociation. I usually turn nodes off, unless I really, really need one. And I use annotative modelspace dimensions. Paperspace dimensions are rife with quicksand.

I always found it easiest to dimension in paper space, because you can have different layout scales and not have to worry about trying to get a dimension size that works in multiple scales.

Using non-standard scales, just because it fits your layout, can lead to trouble.

Yeah, the only other options were 1:50 and 1:100. Neither worked....

Use OSNAP overrides to ensure you are snapping to the proper point.

I know how to do that, but I guess I just didn't?

"Paperspace dimensions are rife with quicksand."

Only if the user doesn't know what he is doing in the first place or 1) he fails to use OSnaps during dimensioning, 2) fails to enable the "associative" property of dimensions, 3) is attempting to dimension a 3D model that is displayed in Conceptual or Realistic visual style thus leaving himself open to the possibility that AutoCAD will pick the wrong geometry. We do all our dimensioning and text in our layouts not in model space and have had no problems since adopting this method several years ago.

"Paperspace dimensions are rife with quicksand."

Only if the user doesn't know what he is doing in the first place or 1) he fails to use OSnaps during dimensioning, 2) fails to enable the "associative" property of dimensions, 3) is attempting to dimension a 3D model that is displayed in Conceptual or Realistic visual style thus leaving himself open to the possibility that AutoCAD will pick the wrong geometry. We do all our dimensioning and text in our layouts not in model space and have had no problems since adopting this method several years ago.

You just did a pretty good job of describing the quicksand to a "T".

I don't have a huge amount of problems with paperspace dimensions, but occasionally I will see some unexplained loss of associations when I move or stretch a modelspace object.

More often than not, if a paperspace (or otherwise) dimension fails to stay associated to the modelspace objects, it's because I was a little hasty in setting the node down and missed the osnap point by a thou or so, but I have not found yet a node floating in space when the above happens. I have gone as far as checking the .bak file to see what it looked like before the editing.

I only do paperspace dimensions for one single client. Everyone else is satisfied with annotative modelspace dimensions.

Also, every angular dimension that needs the text moved out of a tight spot suddenly decides to measure paperspace once the text starts moving. The nodes do not move, just the text, and then it can't be fixed without replacing it.

All of that sounds like loss of associativity, but how and why, I cannot determine.

Edited by Dana W

Yeah, the only other options were 1:50 and 1:100. Neither worked....

Unless I am mistaken, 1:75 is not found on standard metric architectural scales. What if someone wants to verify a dimension that is not noted? Are you going to provide a hard to find scale with your drawings so that they can take a measurement?

Unless I am mistaken, 1:75 is not found on standard metric architectural scales. What if someone wants to verify a dimension that is not noted? Are you going to provide a hard to find scale with your drawings so that they can take a measurement?
Neither is it on a standard Engineering Imperial scale.

If I encountered a user with that problem, on a consistent basis, I'd say it was a case of OIE. Someone is not paying attention to what they are doing.
Yeah. me too :lol: but as far as I can tell I exhausted that possibility. It is not all that regular that I see the stuff described. Most recently, it occurred in a drawing that I did for Universal at Diagon Alley so I may just write it off as having to deal with wizards, goblins, and muggles. The contractor I did that work for is the only one I have to do paperspace dimensions for anyway.

At first, I thought I was simply stacking dimension nodes on each other instead of the object snap, so I turned node snap off and re-did them. Then, I increased the size of all my snappy tool symbols so my ancient eyes could see better which one I was actually snapping to, and found no surprises there either. >>> shrug

Maybe AutoCad knows I prefer not to use paperspace dims and is just having an ego fit.