Blender 3D 2.5xx

f700es

I am sure most of us here have heard of Blender 3D. It is a free/open source 3D application. Basically it is a free program like 3D Studio Max and Maya. It is very powerful but it's one big fault was the user interface. Well the Blender team has released a new version with a new user interface and I am very impressed. Now this is not a user friendly program like SketchUp but it is not meant to be. There are several sites that have great tutorials on the new Blender.

This is a good one and have many video tutorials on getting started.

http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

Any way have a look.

blender-3d.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am starting to play with it. This new UI is a LOT better than the old one. I want to learn this as it seems to be a good application. I have seem some great work from users. I also like the included game engine.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Blender looks like a great app, I've used only breifly - and I found the old UI was not very intuitive when coming from Autodesk products. I use Max mainly but have considered learning Blender too as it is a package that you'd definately be able to get in the door anywhere you work in the future. I too like the built in game engine.

Can you do camera projections in Blender? Can add image planes to cameras?

Can it boast any major features that Max does not have?

HI Spittle, I think that you can do camera projections and and I think you can add images to either viewports or cameras. One or the other I think. As for features that Max does not have I have no idea. I have Max a bit a few years ago but no where near to know enough to compare advanced features. Some of the procedures in Blender seem to have extra steps in them. I think the process to add textures as a material is a bit cumbersome but that can vary from program to program. The site I linked above might be able to answer some of your questions.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...