Print CAD Drawing according to desire scale?

tipu_sultane

I just want to print a CAD drawing according to some required scale. Please help me I have never done this before. I needs some hint.

1:1

1:2

1:3

1:4

1:5

1:10

1:100

Another thing what if I convert the drawing having specific scale into PDF format and print it. Are the scale remain same?

If I scaled the diagram say in A4 paper then print this on A3 paper the scale remain the same?

To print a drawing from AutoCAD to a non-standard scale just choose Custom and input the desired report (in PRINT command dialog). Or if you use that often check the SCALELISTEDIT to add it to the default list.

Regarding the preservation of scale when print a PDF from Adobe Acrobat Reader just choose the Page Sizing to Actual Size or None (depending of the version you use).

In attached image you find the scale of diagram.

That diagram I received in PDF format. I just print it on plotter by selecting the paper size A1 the scale is exactly accurate.

But now I have got CAD file also. I just want to convert the exact diagram on A3 paper so that scales remains the same.

I just confused. If I have diagram only on model then what to do and how to shift model into Layout and scale it as desired.

By right clicking into the model I created the Layout but set scale from where (see figures).

I want to test that. Please help.

Scale-Drawing.jpg

Layout-Issue.jpg

Layout--Issue.jpg

Edited by tipu_sultane
spelling mistake.

I am not sure that you have grasped the concept of scales.

If you have a drawing on an A1 sheet, then to shrink that drawing to fit on an A3 sheet, the scale of the drawing must have changed.

Several guiding points that may be useful.

Everything should be drawn to full scale in model space.

Each layout should be printed at 1:1.

Each viewport should be scaled to give the required scale of the output.

I grasped concept of scale.

I understand that if I print the diagram say have scale 1:5 in A1 size is larger then the same image printed on the paper say A3.

But I am only asking about the procedure of printing on specific scale. From where start and from where ends.

My simple question is if I use only plot command select a paper and specify the scale so the printer prints it or also needs to do some additional work like set units (Imperial, International etc).

eldon explained the procedure. Draw everything in model space at full size, switch to your layout, create a viewport, position your objects, assign it a scale and make sure you lock the viewport display so you do not inadvertently change it.. When done print the drawing and where it says "What to plot" make sure it says Layout (should be the default). Drawings are plotted at 1:1 scale meaning 1 mm = 1 unit. AutoCAD will automatically plot whatever is displayed in the viewport using the scale that was assigned.

We assume you started your drawing using a metric template like acadiso.dwt and not the default imperial template named acad.dwt.

A shortcut, that I have seen mentioned, is that an A1 drawing can be printed on an A3 at half the scale. This is the only one where it happens conveniently.

The procedure is to make the custom scale to be 1mm = 2 units (edit the 1.966 figure to be 2 exactly).

You will end up with the A1 shrunk by half, although the title block will still say that it is an A1 at 1 to 50, when it is on A3 paper at 1 to 100.

Confused? It is easier to start at the beginning, before you take short cuts.

Took a second closer look. Your entire layout is messed up. Wrong paper size, plot style missing, landscape instead of portrait, fit to paper is checked. I would just delete that layout and start a new one. Your main problem will be your title block. If your title block is drawn to fit an A3 size then you cannot not use it for an A1 because it wont fit unless you edit your title block to fit it. I think there's a couple of tutorials here somewhere that can help you with setting up a layout.

You can, of course, feel free to ignore any or all advice.

Some people who only work in Imperial units can get quite flustered when they see metric paper sizes. :shock:

I wasn't referring to you, because I know you know.

I had in mind the member who once stated that they drive on the wrong side of the road in America!

I only do that if no one is looking. It's kind of exhilarating!

Where I get confused sometimes is when it comes to equivalent scales for site plans and architectural drawings. I think I have a link to a website that gives some of the most common ones. Now if I can only find it.

I think that one stumbling block is that AutoCAD only knows inches and millimetres.

For Imperial use, there are only inches and feet, so AutoCAD can cope with those.

With Metric use, there are a multitude of units. Millimetres, Centimetres, Decimetres and Metres (to name but a few). All differing by factors of 10.

AutoCAD plays safe, and only recognizes millimetres. For the rest of the units, you are on your own! and as the plotting scale is the inverse of the required scale, people do not recognise the factors, or are not looking in the correct place :cry:

Seems to me that AutoDesk should have taken care of that a long time ago along with including a reminder to anyone in the world who is NOT using imperial units to make sure they start with a metric template.

For anyone in the world who is not using imperial units, AutoCAD is a foreign language programme.

And in fact, the OP IS using a metric template and has not got the Plot style table because of an omission by the sender of the drawing.