Engineering font

monk

Hello,

What are peoples preferences with regard to Fonts.

A company I am working for use are a multi discipline (including various engineering depts. and architects)

The currently use ARCHS. Horrible as an engineering font in my opinion.

I personally used RomanS.

What do other use for engineering drawings...

We use a custom font purchased back when ACAD 2009 came out called Ufroman4. It makes a clear distinction between the capital letter "O" and the numeral "0" using a diagonal line through the "0". It also treats the numeral 1 and the small letter "l" differently too. These two features are important when designating equipment tag numbers. We also use Romans.

For architectural drawings I have another custom font called Freehand.

We use another font called Helvo (short for Helvetica) in our logo. It is an outline font sans serif.

Edited by ReMark
edited font name

Thanks remark, how do you handle sending dwgs to people? custom fonts wont load. This happens with ARCHS as it was taken out of CAD. You can etransmit but then thats sending your custom font :)

We send the fonts along with the drawing. Why? Because most companies have already decided on their standard fonts and really don't give two hoots about yours, mine or the other guy's fonts.

Throw in another vote for romanS. The company I use to work for also had a custom font that made the same distinction between "0" and "O" by using a slash through the number "0".......I miss that font.

Cat: You want a copy of the font I have? Drop me a PM with your email address.

Message sent :)

Thank you Remark. We use a lot of part numbers that contain "0" and "O", it sure would make life easier to be able to tell the difference. :lol:

We send the fonts along with the drawing. Why? Because most companies have already decided on their standard fonts and really don't give two hoots about yours, mine or the other guy's fonts.
I take your point. It seems RomanS is more popular than most. The difficulty I have is that as a company they want one font. However I see two main different drawings genres. Architectural - who want things to be all fluffy and leave that distinction of whether you have a 0 or an O or I or 1 in the mind of the client. - Engineering who want to do propper drawings that can be read with no room for choice or error.

I could suggest architects use ARCHS and engineers use RomanS... I shall see!

Just as a side note. would the 0 with a diagonal line get confused with the diameter mark which we use a lot?