I wish to hide my associative hatch boundaries. Is this possible to do as a permanent rule?

I have seen that you can apparently put them on a different layer then turn them off. Does anyone have a quick trick for what i am trying to achieve?

I used the selectsimliar command but it chose all polylines (which i guess is what a hatch boundary is?)

Any ideas, or is this going to be a tedious job each time i wish to hide them....?

well, you need to draw a polyline first to create a hatch. So the boundary is not really part of the hatch. I guess you could create your own button that switches to a specific layer when you do a hatch boundary, and then turns that layer on while you draw the boundary. Then you "only" need to freeze that layer when the hatch is done. Just remember to not put the hatch on that layer as well.

I have dropped the practice of keeping a hatch boundary if it doesn't need to be seen or printed. A new boundary can be generated automatically at any time. You lose the associativity but it is usually quite easy to just create a new hatch using that boundary once you have edited it.

Rob, that's exactly what i want to know! How have you dropped them!? Can you make this a system variable??

I have dropped the practice of keeping a hatch boundary if it doesn't need to be seen or printed. A new boundary can be generated automatically at any time. You lose the associativity but it is usually quite easy to just create a new hatch using that boundary once you have edited it.

well, you need to draw a polyline first to create a hatch. So the boundary is not really part of the hatch. I guess you could create your own button that switches to a specific layer when you do a hatch boundary, and then turns that layer on while you draw the boundary. Then you "only" need to freeze that layer when the hatch is done. Just remember to not put the hatch on that layer as well.

Hi Tiger, i don't draw a polyline every time i hatch.......occasionally hatch works well and actually hatches a space without it. Rare, but it happens. I still think hatch is one of the most temperamental commands in autocad. It accounts for most of my crashes and freezes over the years!

I still draw a polyline but delete it after hatching.

Rob, that's exactly what i want to know! How have you dropped them!? Can you make this a system variable??

I'm confused by your post. You still have to define a space to hatch. The only way to define a space that I know of, and the easiest, is to draw a boundary then start the hatch command. If I don't want the boundary to show then I delete it or freeze it in all my viewports. Not sure how hard that might be for you but for me it takes very little time or effort.

don't be confused ski me!

i don't always have to draw a polyline to hatch. occasionally, if i am lucky, the hatch command works by selecting a space within a space.....

surely i am not the only one who doesn't always need a closed polyline to hatch an area?? am i?

I'm confused by your post. You still have to define a space to hatch. The only way to define a space that I know of, and the easiest, is to draw a boundary then start the hatch command. If I don't want the boundary to show then I delete it or freeze it in all my viewports. Not sure how hard that might be for you but for me it takes very little time or effort.

You could use the -HATCH command, which gives you the option of drawing the boundary and the option of deleting or keeping the boundary line when done.

Oh, awesome! never knew about that command! cheers :)

You could use the -HATCH command, which gives you the option of drawing the boundary and the option of deleting or keeping the boundary line when done.