Need to draw a thicker line?

New draw1

Hi I am really new to auto cad, can some one tell me how to make my line thicker? I need the line to be bold not sure if i explained myself but im trying, thanks in adavnce.:unsure:

Im using AutocadR12

It depends, if the line just needs to be thicker for visualization purposes, in other words on paper, you could use a layer with a thicker line weight or plot style.

As the last poster said, if you only need it to be thicker when plotted, then you can set the drawing up to "plot by color". For example, you can make color 5 plot out at 1mm thick, color 6 to plot 1.2 mm thick, etc. by configuring a PCP file.

BTW: Polylines with a width assigned (you will see that width on screen), will always plot their width, regardless of the color setting.

Release 12? Wow. Haven't seen that in a while.

What kind of computer are you running it on? Specs?

Intel R

Pentium R4 CPU 1.60GHZ

256 MG of RAM

Windows XP

Seems to work ok? Why do you ask? Please keep in mind this is my first time ever using CAD.

It depends, if the line just needs to be thicker for visualization purposes, in other words on paper, you could use a layer with a thicker line weight or plot style.

Feladris, thankyou! I followed the instructions you gave and it worked!! Wow talk about frustrating at first! I tried several colours and printed the page than I was able to see on paper the thicknesses of the drawn lines. Thanks excellent forum too!

I am also trying to draw a cut away view of a four speed chrysler transmission on my own time for extra marks.Does anyone have any tips on how to start drawing it,I have started some of it,but there seems to be alot of detail that doesnt show up when I zoom out and print it? Seems like alot of work for nothing since the detail doesnt show up when its printed on paper?

I am measuring the drawing (picture) in millimeters and trying to transfer it to the plotting dotes? I think thats what they are called.Anyway IF I did it right which I doubt? from dot to dot should be one millimeter should it not? Please help!

• 9 years later...
Hi I am really new to auto cad, can some one tell me how to make my line thicker? I need the line to be bold not sure if i explained myself but im trying, thanks in adavnce.:unsure:

Im using AutocadR12

Use Pedit command

There is some good tutorials here about plotting/printing using layouts. Basicly go to a layout draw a square slightly smaller than your paper size, do mview and pick the rectang, double click inside then zoom E your transmission should appear.