(not) Editing attributes in a dynamic block

MaxwellEdison

Whelp....I got me another dynamic block pickle. I put a lookup table in my detail block with an attribute directly underneath the leader. When you change the lookup state it sets size for a parameter and the attribute displays the state of the lookup action in a field. Everything is functioning properly, I can select the lookup state (in this case a specific post size) and the detail changes to the new size. Once the drawing is regen'ed the field updates as well, showing the changed information.

The only problem remaining is the attribute field in the properties dialog for the block. Someone can enter a text string which overwrites the field and breaks the association. The lookup table still controls the size, but the field no longer updates. Is there a way I can lock or remove the attribute from the properties listing? I've tried making it constant, but that results in just null characers (#) being displayed under the field. And if I change it to invisible it simply dissapears (no surprise there:P ) So anyway I can stop well meaning individuals from breaking my block?

I've attached a simplified portion of the block (saved in 2007 version) below that illustrates my problem. Any ideas?

Attribute example.dwg

I can't look until I get to work but I haven't found a way to stop people editing fields yet. The best I have come up with is to set ATTREQ = 0 so that the attributes dialogue doesn't come up on insertion.

That's kind of the opinion I'm resigning myself to. Know of any strings or settings to allow a field to be inserted in an MLeader so the association will survive being inserted in another drawing? Currently I can't get it to pull for anything other than the arbitrary object id.