How to Delete a Layer?

Casio47

I want to delete several layers. I've turned off all layers except the ones I wish to delete. The objects remaining, I've deleted all those objects. So, I'm basically looking at a blank screen. I've made sure by zooming extents, still no objects are showing.

I still am not able to delete the layers I want, How can i delete a layer?

Thanks

CAD 2016

While in the layer manager, there should be a status column to the left of the layer name, if it is blue then it can't be deleted, if gray, then right click, pick delete layer. If push comes to shove, use layer merge command.

If you can't delete a layer, it's because there's some feature in the drawing that's still using the layer. By merging or deleting the layer, you may produce unintended consequences. For instance, a title block in paper space could have positioning elements on those phantom layers. Deleting the layer also deletes those elements, which could throw off your printing.

In other words, you can remove a layer by brute force, but it should be the last resort.

Some solutions:

- use Qselect to select everything on the layer. sometimes there are 'invissible' blocks, that cannot be selected by hand...

- use CTRL+A to make sure everything is deleted.

- Xplode or BURST all remaining objects... sometimes there are invisible attributes..

- If blocks with attributes are edited make sure they are ATTSYNC'ed, else they keep unused layers in use...

• 1 month later...

Layers that are referenced, cannot be deleted.

If you are using Civil 3D for example, layers can be referenced by styles.

I presume other verticals contain similar ways to reference layers.

If you are in vanilla AutoCAD, run the DBLIST command. Does it return anything? If so, these are objects that are still in your drawing. They could be invisible, or block references that have not been inserted, etc.

You can use LAYMRG to merge the layer you want to get rid of onto layer 0. Not very practical if you have 100's of layer however.

• 1 month later...

Another reason to keep all your block elements on Layer "0".

here's another hint. To get rid of the Defpoints layer, simply rename it first.

Another reason to keep all your block elements on Layer "0".

A blanket statement like that is couldn't be further from being accurate. There are many uses for blocks and some of the REQUIRE the use of layers.

here's another hint. To get rid of the Defpoints layer, simply rename it first.

IIRC, you cannot rename it.

Yeah, I know that sometimes it works to have a block use layers other than "0", I just like to simplify the control of the colors and line weights through the layer manager.

and I have never had any problem with changing the name of the defpoints layer if there is nothing on it.