Description Keys/Figure Styles

okaloosa_manderson

I have my Description Keys and Figure Styles set up in AutoCAD Civil 3d 2012, however, when bringing in a .fbk file from our surveyors I am having problems with AutoCAD drawing lines between points with the raw description of "DWY ASPHALT1" and "DWY CONC1". The description key is set to "DWY*", the description key format is "$*" and figure style set to "DWY". Does AutoCAD not look at the raw descritpion to dertime that these are different objects? Do I have to create a new figure style for each type of driveway? All of our driveways weather gravel, rock, asphalt, concrete...whatever...go on layer Driveways_ep also.

Another question: Is there a way to tag the figure with certain parts of the raw description? IE: If the raw description is "STS RCP 15" (for 15" RCP Storm Sewer pipe) and I want the figure with 15" RCP....

• 3 weeks later...

Started to answer this, then realized it involved too many things. I suspect some training in C3D Survey is in order... Too much to cover in a forum post.

But to help keep you from going down a "bad path", I'll say that you should NOT use different Figure Styles for everything... Huge time wasting lays down that path. Instead, favor "ByLayer" for most of your Style settings (unless they are set to Layer 0 in the Point Style and Point Label Style, maybe). (And in general, make sure NONE of your Objects Layer settings is set to Layer 0, even if it has a suffix or prefix (although that's better than most alternatives).

I shouldn't use different Figure Styles for everything? I am using FDOT State Kit for Civil 3D and they already have the Figure Styles set up to go to FDOT's layering standards. I only set up the Description Keys for our surveyors so the surveys they do will tie in with the proper point styles and draw figures when necessary on FDOT's preset layers.

Our crews use sequence numbers to keep different figures of the same feature separate. DWY1 DWY2 ...

Use $2 $1 as the format for STS RCP 15.