Rotating Lines using the 3d Rotate tool?

dstarkwa

Hello! I have two lines of a cross section that, because of the way they were designed, were imported in between the top/front view (as seen in my first screenshot).

I need these lines to be rotated so that they are viewed in top down only, that is, I need to rotate them 45 degrees from the current view up to the top down view, so that all z points are eliminated, so that I can have these two lines solely in the xy plane.

I know I will need to use the 3d rotate tool, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to rotate it around the x plane. Please help!

The first image is how the lines are currently situated, that is, to view them as a proper cross section you need to be viewing them from an angle from the front/top down

The second image is the view I want, but now we are not viewing a proper cross section, as we are not looking at them straight on.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Try using the left view with the veiw cube.

Use 3d rotate command

drag a window to highlight all your part

pick the lowest right point then pick a rotating axis (red)

then specify the angle (-45 degrees) ?

once done check if everything on Z plane is at 0

if not you would have to select all and go to properties and change the Z values to 0

One more thought, if the angle of rotation for the 2D polyline was not 45° I would consider using the ALIGN command and specify the beginning of the line for the first source point, 0,0,0 for the first target point, the second vertex of the line for the second source point, 1,0,0 for the second target point, and any vertex not collinear with the first two vertices for the third source point and 0,1,0 for the third target point.

If I understand what you have and what you need correctly, then just plain rotate is all that is needed. Setup in a right view, orient the ucs so you have x and y showing, rotate 45 degrees.