Viewport from object screws up the crosshairs in 2013

Denimoth

I've recently installed AutoCAD 2013 and already found a problem. I don't know if it's only on my end or if it happens to others.

I'm creating a circular viewport (in paperspace) by first drawing the circle, then run the mview command, selecting object, and clicking on my circle. The viewport is created just fine and I see what I'm supposed to see from model space.

The problem is when I click inside the viewport to modify the objects in modelspace while staying in the paperspace tab. My crosshairs don't display. I move the cursor around and can see it appear and disappear. When I see the cursor, it looks like there is an invisible circular boundary within my round viewport, and if I move my cursor beyond this imaginary boundary, my cursor disappears. This makes selecting entities a real pain. Tried it with different circles and even used a rectangle, but I get the same result when I use the "object" feature of the mview command.

Is this happening just to me or is it a known bug?

Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce this problem in a new drawing. Might have something to do with my old file from AC2010. Works fine in 2010, not so much in 2013. Bah...

I am somewhat confused by your post. You are aware that 2013 has introduced a new file format, as did Autocad 2010? If you are saving for retro compatability best to save as an appropriate earlier file type. If you share a dwg file which has been saved as the default file type (2013), then those viewing it should be on 2013, or else using one of the free Autodesk downloads DWG True View 2013, or the other one the name of which evades me, for the best viewing.

My original drawing was done using AC2010. I installed the trial version of AC2013 and used it to make modifications to my older drawing. This is where I encountered the problem.

I completely agree that saving to the newest format is generally the better method to follow. I am, unfortunately, stuck working with individuals who still continue to work with older versions of AutoCAD. One of them still has 2002!. I keep telling them they can get DWG TrueView that they can use to convert newer formats to their older versions. They refuse to do it. I even sent them a DVD of the software in case they didn't want to download it from Adesk's website. They still haven't done it to date. Meh, I guess some of the older folks have a harder time wanting to change things or they get set in their comfortable ways. It's unbelievable the amount of emails I get asking to convert drawings to an older version for these guys... I even know one guy that keeps sending my clients drawings with exploded hatches and dimensions!

Ignorance is bliss? A common enough misconception.

I think not; evolution, effective communication and collaboration are the keys to any successful endeavor. As it is free, and would not affect them in the least, that is incredibly counter-productive and short sighted. Hard to move ahead when the parking brakes are on.

Send them all a VIEWBASE generated drawing, saved in their preferred file format. They will see nothing but the sheet. Perhaps that will open their eyes to their own myopia. You could send them a PDF too, so they know what they are missing.